Visiting Rice trimmed a double-digit deficit to two points in the closing minutes, but Josiah Kimball responded with a three-pointer to send the St. Johnsbury Academy boys basketball team on its way to a 46-39 victory Monday night.
Kimball scored 11 points for St. Johnsbury (9-2), which also received a game-high 13 points from Tristen Ross and 12 points from Taeshon Best.
Rice (8-2) was led by Tom Fitzgerald (13 points) and Ben Shungu (10 points).
Monday’s game was a rematch of last year’s Division I final, won by Rice in overtime.
* Colchester 59, Spaulding 48: Host Colchester used a 21-11 run in the second quarter to jump ahead of Spaulding to stay.
Marquel Webster connected for 13 points for Colchester, with teammates Noah Robinson (11 points) and Regal Spencer (10) also reaching double-figures.
Zach Rochford hit for agame-high 15 points for Spaudling.
* Williamstown 69, Montpelier 41: Jason Manwaring and Hunter McLaughlin combined for 43 points and 27 rebounds in unbeaten Wiliamstown’s win over visiting Montpelier.
A 17-9 run over the third quarter helped Williamstown (11-0) gain the distance it needed, thanks to big nights from Manwaring (23 points, 18 rebounds) and McLaughlin (20 points, nine rebounds).
Montpelier was paced by TJ Dellipriscali’s 12 points.
* Champlain Valley 46, St. Johnsbury 20: Kaelyn Kohlasch got the ball into the right hands with a team-high six assists as Champlain Valley cruised to victory over visiting St. Johnsbury.
Laurel Jaunich (nine points) and Emily Kinneston (eight points) were the leading scorers for CVU.
Taylor Belknap and Jeni Laferriere tallied five points apiece for St. Johnsbury.
* BFA-St. Albans 39, Burlington 33: Lauren Larose hit one of three key three-pointers in the third quarter to help BFA-St. Albans come back and beat host Burlington.
Larose scored 11 points to lead BFA-St. Albans, which trailed 19-16 at the half but went ahead on a 17-11 run in the third before closing the game on a 9-4 spurt.
Breanna Pidgeon led Burlington (7-6) with 11 points.
* Essex 53, Spaulding 40: Kara Sheftic racked up 24 points and 24 rebounds to power Essex to a road victory over Spaulding.
* Rice 63, North Country 22: Hailee Baron was a force on both sides of the ball with a game-high 18 points and six steals as Rice ran away from North Country.
Carolyn Snell scored 11 points and Jordan Lawrence added 10 for Rice, which led 38-9 at the half.
Nicole Therrien’s seven points were the team-high for North Country.
* Thetford 46, Randolph 13: Host Thetford held Randolph to two points in the first quarter and zero in the third to win for the 13th time in 14 games this season.
Shyann Josler connected three times from three-point range on her way to a game-high 14 points for Thetford (13-1). Teammates Michaela Pomeroy, Ella Chapman and Lydia Leitschuh got into the act with six points apiece.
Samantha Tuller (five points) was the offensive leader for Randolph (4-7).
* Stowe 2, Northfield 1: Chad Haggerty scored the tying goal in the third period, then assisted on JJ Clark’s game-winner as Stowe nipped Northfield.
Jackson Tucker staked Northfield to a 1-0 lead off an assist from Eric Gerdes with 13:37 left in the third period.
Stowe’s Wyatt Galfetti and Northfield’s Riley Corey each made 21 saves.
* South Burlington-Champlain Valley 6, Missiquoi 2: Sarah Fisher lit the lamp and dished out two assists, Courtney Barrett scored twice and Molly Dunphy chipped in a goal and an assist as South Burlington-Champlain Valley skated past Missiquoi.
Kyla Driver scored a short-handed goal and Josie Toof also tallied for SB-CVU, which got a combined 19 saves from Courtney Peyko and Erin Church.
Rachel Lothian and Amanda Conger scored and Hannah Brockus made 16 stops for Missiquoi (2-10-1).