Hannah Couture scored a game-high 10 points while Kara Sheftic collected nine points, 10 rebounds and eight blocks for Essex in its 41-26 victory over Burlington in high school girls basketball action Friday night.
Georgia Black and Breanna Pidgeon each tallied six points to lead the Seahorses (4-2).
The Hornets (5-1) outscored BHS 24-11 in the middle quarters, including 7-0 in the third period.
* Rice 71, Spaulding 34: A 21-point effort from senior Hailee Barron helped Rice amass a 43-17 halftime lead and pull away for a win against visiting Spaulding.
Barron also finished with six rebounds, four assists and four steals in three quarters of work, while Lexy Avonda added 14 points for the Green Knights (4-1).
Katie Thygesen paced the Crimson Tide (2-5) with 12 points.
* Champlain Valley 65, BFA-St. Albans 30: A 20-2 second-quarter run gave host Champlain Valley all the breathing room it needed to pick up a win over BFA-St. Albans.
Emily Kinneston paved the way for the Redhawks (7-0), who led 38-16 at halftime, with 16 points, nine assists and five steals. Laurel Jaunich added 15 points and Kaelyn Kohlasch put in 11.
Lauren LaRose led the Comets (3-2) with 13 points.
* Colchester 38, Mount Mansfield 26: Ten points from Jackie Nagle led all scorers and helped push visiting Colchester (3-2) to a win against Mount Mansfield.
Lexi Mousley had a team-best six points for the Cougars (1-4), while Rebecca Repacz added six rebounds.
* South Burlington 49, Middlebury 12: Sage Barton tossed in a dozen points as South Burlington won at Middlebury.
Kayla Gilding chipped in eight points for the Rebels, who raced out to a 29-8 halftime lead.
Payton Buxton paced the Tigers with six points.
* Milton 36, Missisquoi 24: Up 17-0 after a dominating first-quarter performance, visiting Milton never looked back to beat Missisquoi.
Danielle Phelps finished with 10 points and Selena Patterson chipped in with nine for Milton (3-1). The Thunderbirds (0-5) got nine points from Adrianna Lagrow.
* Mount Abraham 52, Mill River 31: Ashlie Fay paced three Mount Abraham players in double figures with 14 points as the host Eagles dispatched Mill River.
Meg Livingston and Isabel Brennan chipped in with a dozen points each for Mount Abraham (4-2), which had a 31-14 advantage at halftime.
* U-32 54, Montpelier 18: Madison Bennett racked up 21 points and host U-32 used a 17-2 second-quarter edge to drop rival Montpelier.
Elizabeth Ksepka added 13 points for U-32 (5-2).
* Vergennes 42, Winooski 39: Tamara Aunchman tallied 12 and eight rebounds and KC Ambrose added 10 points as host Vergennes held off Winooski.
Amanda Nattress notched 17 points for the Spartans (3-3).
* Williamstown 75, Whitcomb 51: Jayme Ducharme had 15 points and Kimmy Gilbert tossed in 11 to power Williamstown to a victory against visiting Whitcomb to remain unbeaten at 7-0.
* St. Johnsbury 78, BFA-St. Albans 39: St. Johnsbury built a 41-14 halftime as it rolled to a win over host BFA-St. Albans.
Tristen Ross led all scorers with 19 points for the Hilltoppers (2-2). Vlad Cobzaru added 13 points while Taeshon Best (12) and Brendan O’Shea (11) also hit double figures.
Shawn Humphrey and Matt Sanders had eight points apiece for the Bobwhites (0-5)
* Mount Mansfield 68, Essex 54: Unbeaten Mount Mansfield used a 25-16 third-quarter run to gain separation in its victory over visiting Essex.
Tinga Adiang’s game-high 20 points paced MMU (5-0), which also got strong games from Nick Bergeron (14 points), Kyle Adams (10) and Sean Springer (10).
Essex (2-5) got 17 points from Brad Snow, 12 from Joe Aiken and 10 from Eniz Camdzic.
* Colchester 79, North Country 46: Ricky Giroux’s 20 points lead three Colchester players in double figures in the Lakers’ win at North Country.
Re’gal Spencer (19 points) and Brady Doud (15) also reached double figures for Colchester (4-3), which led by 17 points at the half. Doud’s 15 points all came on 3-pointers.
* Stowe 66, Milton 65: John Levesque made a pair of free throws with 6 seconds left which proved to be the game-winning points for Stowe as Amin Habibovic’s last-second 3-pointer failed to drop for Milton on Thursday night.
Petey Welsh’s 16 points led the way for the Raiders. Shayde Ward (13), Levesque (12) and Connor Dunkling (10) also reached double figures.
Senior Amin Habibovic had 14 points, including four 3-pointers, for the Yellowjackets (1-4), who also got 13 points from Eric Menard and a dozen from Ryan Brown.