VIDEO: Haughton's Guin returns home Saturday

VIDEO: Haughton's Guin returns home Saturday


VIDEO: Haughton's Guin returns home Saturday



If Haughton football coach Rodney Guin and his family forgot exactly where they lived during a trying month in Dallas as Guin recovered from a near-fatal heart attack, the Guins found signs pointing the way home.

The Guins returned to their Thomas Street home in Haughton on Saturday, welcomed by signs as they made a right turn on Merrywoods Blvd.

The five signs, decked in Haughton red, read, “Welcome” “Home” “Coach” “Love HHS Football” “And the Crew.”

At the Guins’ doorstep, handmade cards welcomed the family back to their home.

“The support has been fantastic,” said Guin, with his compression-socked legs propped up in his customary seat facing the television. “It’s hard to believe that people do that, but that do that here.

“That’s why we like living here. It’s been a long month, been longer for my wife and my family than it has been for me. I slept through the first two weeks of it – the bad part of it I don’t remember. I know that was difficult for them to go through.”

The Guins left the Baylor University Medical Center 29 days after a heart attack nearly claimed Rodney.

Wife, Tracy, was at the wheel of the family SUV packed with a month’s worth of clothes, newspaper clippings, gifts and tokens of support. The coach even carried home an autographed white hat off the head of David Toms, who is participating in the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial in Fort Worth, Texas.

“Coach Guin, all the best!” Toms authored after shooting a 66 on Friday.

The Guins made a pit stop to see their parents in Kilgore on Saturday before making a beeline for Haughton. The coach’s favorite recliner has been calling his name for quite some time.

“See you in Haughton!” coach Guin said Saturday morning.

Coach Guin is scheduled to visit with local doctors Monday and will continue rehabilitation armed with a low-sodium diet.

The last time Guin was in a local hospital, a string of “miracles” and the help of doctors such as Ajay Tummala and Curtis Prejean set the table for an incredible recovery at Willis-Knight facilities in Bossier and off Greenwood in Shreveport.

Guin, 54, suffered his heart attack in his home April 25, not long after he’d returned from a trip to New Orleans to watch Haughton’s softball playoff game. He was found to have 100 percent blockage in the common trunk of his heart. Three days later, he traveled to Baylor via helicopter.

Guin came to after 12 days of induced paralysis and then made rapid physical progress. He took his first steps on May 14 and was discharged Saturday, roughly 10 days ahead of schedule.

Although Guin, who owns a school record with 114 football wins, missed the Buccaneers’ spring practice, he has watched the spring game against Bossier multiple times via the internet.

Haughton assistant coach Jason Brotherton is ready to have his head coach back at work.

Brotherton, also Guin’s next-door neighbor, won’t have to loos across Thomas Street at an empty Guin house any more.

“It’s exciting to have him back,” Brotherton said. “We always make fun of how he doesn’t do anything, but he did a lot of work that we didn’t know about.

“All of us had to pick up the slack. We’re ready for him to get back to work just so we’ll see him every day.”


More USA TODAY High School Sports