Lakeview was the site for the 2014 All-City boys’ swimming and diving meet on Saturday, but the big crowd on hand didn’t need any reminders which school owned the pool.
That was evident by the way host Spartans captured their 24th consecutive city crown in dominating fashion, winning all 12 events to come away with a team score of 546.
“The kids always take this meet very serious. They’re swimming against their buddies from in town here,” said Lakeview head coach Kyle Lott. “We’ve been training really hard, I was really pleased with the way we swam today and I thought the other teams swam good too.”
While Division 2 seventh-ranked Lakeview left little in doubt, the meet was not without some drama. Battle Creek Central utilized its depth and trio of third-place finishes to record a team score of 325.5 and edge Harper Creek’s total of 305.5 for second place.
“It’s been at least 15 years (since a runner-up finish) that I’m aware of. This is my 10th year with the boys and it was a few years before that, so this is huge for us,” said Battle Creek Central head coach Rob Brownell. “Pretty excited about it. These guys deserve it. Harper has a lot more speed than we do up top, but having 30 kids on the team and having the depth that we have played out really well here, and I’m happy with that.”
Individually, Lakeview spent a lot of Saturday standing on the podium. AJ Cariuty, John Vann and Braden Shanks led the effort for the Spartans with four All-City titles apiece.
“They feel it is very important,” Lott said of his team. “We don’t do a whole lot of talking about winning this meet as far as the coaches go. But the swimmers take it serious that they want to fill the podium.”
Lakeview began the meet with a win in the 200 medley relay as the team of Tabor Smyth, Shanks, Vann and Parker Sprau timed in at 1-minute, 44.23-seconds. From there, the Spartans would win out.
* In the 200 freestyle, Cariuty touched the wall in a winning time of 1:51.20
* Vann earned the win in the 200 IM with a time of 2:00.63
* Shanks captured the 50 freestyle city title in 23.44.
* Jake Budd was the city champ in diving with a score of 264.10.
* Cariuty won the 100 butterfly in 56.68.
* Scott Carstens won the 100 freestyle in 50.20.
* Brad Glubke earned a city crown in the 500 freestyle with a time of 5:30.20.
* The Spartans’ 200 freestyle relay team of Cariuty, Sam Myers, Carstens and Shanks placed first in 1:33.09.
* Vann won the 100 backstroke in a time of 54.67.
* Shanks won his fourth title on the day with a win in the 100 breaststroke, finishing in 1:08.06.
* And the Lakeview 400 freestyle relay team of Smyth, Carstens, Cariuty and Vann placed first in 3:23.16 — giving Cariuty and Vann their fourth city title in the meet.
Battle Creek Central was led on the day by third-place finishes from Devonte Hillman in diving (135.25); Travis Face in the 500 freestyle (5:53.18); and the 200 medley relay team of Face, Austin Douglas, Quinton Jones and Jahkeem Stone (2:01.12).
“These guys all know each other,” Brownell said. “They are friends outside of here, so it’s fun competition. When the city guys get together, it’s all good stuff.”
Harper Creek made the podium in all but five events, led by second-place finishes from Luke Lightcap in the 50 freestyle (24.07); Jerrod Lepper in the 100 freestyle (52.88); Jeff Mann in the 100 breastroke (1:08.77); the 200 freestyle relay team of Lightcap, Mann, Alex Ziegler and Lepper (1:35.57) and the 400 freestyle relay featuring Lightcap, Ziegler, Mann and Lepper (3:37.85). The Beavers’ also had three third-place finishes as Mann took third in the 200 IM (2:16.15); Lepper finished third in the 50 freestyle (24.16); and Ziegler was third in the 200 freestyle (2:00.27).
“We had our best time in our 400 relay and our 200 free relay, which we qualified for state the other day, so we’re looking good there,” said Harper Creek head coach Devin Hurst. “Jeff Mann dropped some time in his 100 breaststroke, and I saw some good times from the new guys, they are all cutting some time too… So good swims overall. Obviously we still have some work to do, but we feel pretty good today.”
2014 BOYS’ ALL-CITY SWIM MEET
* 200 Medley Relay: 1-Lakeview (Tabor Smyth, Braden Shanks, John Vann, Parker Sprau) 1:44.23; 2-Lakeview (Sam Myers, Gavin Marlowe, Adam Waltman, Bryer Magnuson) 1:54.17; 3-BCC (Travis Face, Austin Douglas, Quinton Jones, Jahkeem Stone) 2:01.12.
* 200 Freestyle: 1-AJ Cariuty, Lakeview, 1:51.20; 2-Scott Carstens, Lakeview, 1:51.33; 3-Alex Ziegler, Harper Creek, 2:00.27.
* 200 IM: 1-John Vann, Lakeview, 2:00.63; 2-Adam Waltman, Lakeview, 2:08.65; 3-Jeff Man, Harper Creek, 2:16.15.
* 50 Freestyle: 1-Braden Shanks, Lakeview, 23.44; 2-Luke Lightcap, Harper Creek, 24.07; 3-Jerrod Lepper, Harper Creek, 24.16.
* Diving: 1-Jake Budd, Lakeview, 264.10; 2-Austin Nemire, Lakeview, 247.10; 3-Devonte Hillman, BCC, 135.25.
* 100 Butterfly: 1-AJ Cariuty, Lakeview, 56.68; 2-Adam Waltman, Lakeview, 57.40; 3-Tabor Smyth, Lakeview, 58.86.
* 100 Freestyle: 1-Scott Carstens, Lakeview, 50.20; 2-Jerrod Lepper, Harper Creek, 52.88; 3-Sam Myers, Lakeview, 53.01.
* 500 Freestyle: 1-Brad Glubke, Lakeview, 5:30.20; 2-Brendon Beecham, Lakeview, 5:39.50; 3-Travis Face, BCC, 5:53.18.
* 200 Freestyle Relay: 1-Lakeview (AJ Cariuty, Sam Myers, Scott Carstens, Braden Shanks) 1:33.09; 2-Harper Creek (Luke Lightcap, Jeff Mann, Alex Ziegler, Jerrod Lepper) 1:35.57; 3-Lakeview (Adam Waltman, Jake Budd, Parker Sprau, Brad Glubke) 1:44.18.
* 100 Backstroke: 1-John Vann, Lakeview, 54.67; 2-Tabor Smyth, Lakeview, 1:00.50; 3-Bryer Magnuson, Lakeview, 1:09.98.
* 100 Breaststroke: 1-Braden Shanks, Lakeview, 1:08.06; 2-Jeff Mann, Harper Creek, 1:08.77; 3-Parker Sprau, Lakeview, 1:15.09.
* 400 Freestyle Relay: 1-Lakeview (Tabor Smyth, Scott Carstens, AJ Cariuty, John Vann) 3:23.16; 2-Harper Creek (Luke Lightcap, Alex Ziegler, Jeff Mann, Jerrod Lepper) 3:37.85; 3-Lakeview (Gavin Marlowe, Brad Glubke, Brendon Beecham, Bryer Magnuson) 3:50.10.