Merideth Jewell, who helped lead the Mercy Academy volleyball team to a state championship Sunday, has been named Miss Kentucky Volleyball by the Kentucky Volleyball Coaches Association.
Jewell had 17 kills, 11 digs and two aces in the Jaguars’ championship victory over Notre Dame. For the season she ranked first on the team in aces and kills and second in hitting percentage and blocks.
“Merideth was kind of the heart of the team,” coach Todd Garvey said. “Her energy was contagious. I think she’s the only player I’ve ever coached who gave her all every single day since she was a freshman, whether it was a practice or a game. She never took a day off or didn’t go 100 percent. She’s a great leader.”
An outside hitter, Jewell plans to sign with Morehead State this week.
Jewell was one of three Mercy players named to the Class 3-A All-State first team, joining Lexie Hamrick and Devon Rachel. The Kentucky High School Athletic Association does not have a class system for volleyball, but the KVCA uses one for its award.
Other Class 3-A first-team All-State picks from Louisville were Assumption’s Miranda Elpers, Kinsey Maloney and Molly Sauer and Sacred Heart’s Julia Boswell.
North Oldham’s Casey Foote and Sarah Snyder and Christian Academy’s Caroline Rassenfoss made the Class 2-A first team.
Here are the complete All-State teams:
* First team: Kendall Beerman (Tates Creek); Jasmine Bennett (McCracken County); Julia Boswell (Sacred Heart); Calayci Coffey (Henry Clay); Leah Edmond (Paul Dunbar); Miranda Elpers, Kinsey Maloney, Molly Sauer (Assumption); Lexie Hamrick, Merideth Jewell, Devon Rachel (Mercy); Morgan Hentz (Notre Dame).
* Second team: Olivia Canales (Paul Dunbar); Paige Hammons, Sydney Shearn, Anna Zwiebel (Sacred Heart); Taylor King (Central Hardin); Nikki Koval (Mercy); Katie Lanham (Pulaski Southwestern); Hannah Parker (McCracken County); Hallie Shelton (Henry Clay); Kaity Smith (Cooper); Abby Thelen, Alicia Von Handorf (Notre Dame).
* Honorable mention: Ashley Bush (Ryle); Lauren Christman (Central Hardin); Morgan Elmore (Mercy); Keyton Kinley (Lafayette); Mary Martin (Paul Dunbar); Shelby Olson (Assumption); Macy Reihing (Tates Creek); Alex Satterfield (Apollo).
* First team: Olivia Bodart (Lexington Catholic); Shelby Conley (Johnson Central); Casey Foote, Sarah Snyder (North Oldham); Shelby Goode (Marion County); Rebecca Hepner (Elizabethtown); Lydia Jackson (South Warren); Caroline Rassenfoss (Christian Academy); Jessica Tapp (Scott).
* Second team: Hannah Bevins, Paige Potter (East Ridge); Kendall Bloyd (Warren East); Jessica Davis, Isabella Meeks (Caldwell County); Abby James (Lexington Catholic); Chloe Owen (LaRue County); Katherine Porter (Hopkins County Central); Hannah Wurth (Elizabethtown).
* Honorable mention: Karissa Blair, Shiann Hall (Johnson Central); Kaley Bloyd (Warren East); Bailey Boden (Pendleton County); Chelsea Block (Corbin); Kira Harman (Nelson County); Sarah Pemberton (South Warren); Jenna Trimpe (Scott); Jill Von Hoven (Christian Academy).
* First team: Hannah Givens (Green County); Elizabeth Goodin (Ballard Memorial); Jannah Halbert, Katie Kendrick (Allen Central); Natalie Jones, Molly Thompson (Owensboro Catholic); Taunee Justice, Faith Runyon (Pikeville); Kerrigan Samons (Paintsville).
* Second team: Lakeisha Crum (Betsy Layne); Alexxa Gearheart (Pikeville); Saran Grinrod (Allen Central); Kali Hedgespeth, Kinsy Shofner (Green County); Cayla Hoehler (Bethlehem); Jonna Isaac (South Floyd); Rachael McDonald (Newport Central Catholic); Abbey Meade (Paintsville).
* Honorable mention: Hope Clark (Hazard); Meredith Ford (Lexington Christian); Alex Hunter, Emily Kidd (Betsy Layne); Kendyll Kraus, Janelle Tobler (St. Henry); Lacy Mitchell (Robertson County); Molly Tucker (South Floyd); Jordan Woeste (Lexington Christian).