A week ago, Penn State coach James Franklin acknowledged that he was monitoring the hazing and sexual assault allegations at Sayerville (N.J.) High School because Penn State had “a player committed to us from that school.”
In the aftermath of the arrest of seven players and multiple reports that Penn State has pulled the scholarship offer for running back Myles Hartsfield, Franklin declined to comment.
“We can’t talk about specific high schools or specific prospects. It’s an NCAA violation,” Franklin said Tuesday on the weekly Big Ten coaches conference call in response to a question from USA TODAY High School Sports.
In his initial comment last week, Franklin did not use Hartsfield’s name.
Hartsfield, who is 6 foot, 175 pounds, was projected to have an integral role for the Nittany Lions’ 2015 recruiting class. Penn State is currently No. 10 among recruiting rankings, according to 247sports.com.
It has not been confirmed that Hartsfield is one of the players who has been charged — all seven were minors so their identities have been shielded — but police were reportedly seen at Hartsfield’s house Friday around the time that the players involved were brought in to be charged.
A three-star prospect, ranked 13th in the state, according to rivals.com, Hartsfield split time between safety and cornerback and had 44 tackles and intercepted four passes as a junior last season. He rushed 118 times for 1,586 yards and 24 touchdowns and caught 13 passes for 258 yards and three scores.
In light of the investigation, the Sayreville administration canceled the remainder of the football season and superintendent Dr. Richard Labbe said the program could be suspended for more than this season.