Some had great regular seasons. Some had regular seasons that weren’t so super.
But starting today, city and area prep boys’ basketball teams will go back to square one as the MHSAA postseason begins with district tournament action.
Looking at districts in which city teams are involved:
* Battle Creek Central will host Holt in a Class A district opener at BCC at 6 p.m. today — in a district where all of the other action starting Wednesday will take place at Mason High. Also today, Lakeview will host Gull Lake at 7 p.m. Today’s winners will meet up at 6 p.m. Wednesday at Mason.
* At Marshall High, Pennfield will go against Comstock at 6 p.m. today, followed by Marshall battling Delton Kellogg at 7:30 p.m. The Pennfield vs. Comstock winner advances to take on Harper Creek at 6 p.m. Wednesday.
* In a district hosted by Kalamazoo Loy Norrix, St. Philip takes on Kalamazoo Heritage Christian at 6 p.m. at St. Philip, and Calhoun Christian plays at Martin at 7 p.m. (also today in the district, Climax-Scotts opens the postseason against Kalamazoo Phoenix at 5:30 p.m.).
The winner of today’s St. Philip vs. K-Heritage Christian contest advances to battle Kalamazoo Lakeside at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at KLN, and the winner of Calhoun Christian vs. Martin advances to play the winner of today’s C-S vs. K-Phoenix tilt on Wednesday at 7 p.m. at KLN.
Additionally, regarding other area schools in action today:
* In Class B at Three Rivers, Coldwater takes on Edwardsburg at 7 p.m.
* In Class B at Jackson Northwest, Olivet faces the hosts at 7 p.m.
* In Class C at Galesburg-Augusta, G-A plays Maple Valley at 7 p.m.
* In Class C at Bronson, the host Vikings tangle with Union City at 7:30 p.m.
* And, in Class D at Burr Oak, Athens battles Colon at 6 p.m.