Lakeview High boys’ swimming and diving team coach Kyle Lott was hoping for big things from his squad on Day 1 of the MHSAA Division 2 Championships on Friday at Eastern Michigan University.
The Spartans delivered — even better than Lott could have imagined.
“It’s one thing to know going into one of these state meets what you’re capable of, what you’d like your team to do, and it’s another thing to have pretty much every single person — everybody — actually deliver to the best of their ability. Everybody’s happy and excited,” Lott said.
During Friday’s preliminaries, the Spartans qualified for Saturday’s top-eight championship finals in seven of the meet’s 12 events, and also had four others make Saturday’s ninth-through-16th-place consolation finals.
Lott said that if everything goes according to plan Saturday, the seventh-ranked Spartans will earn a top-four trophy team finish. They’re currently in third place.
Also Friday, at the D-3 Championships at Holland Aquatics Center, Marshall junior Henry Swett put himself in position to make it three straight titles in 1-meter diving as he leads the pack after the first eight dives. There are three more dives remaining Saturday.
Both Marshall and Harper Creek will be in the consolation finals in other events on Saturday in Holland as well.
Here’s a closer look at Friday’s preliminary rounds involving local teams and their swimmers and divers:
The following are all Lakeview results:
* In the 100 butterfly, junior John Vann — the defending state champ — qualified No. 1 for Saturday’s final with a time of 49.90. Vann went into the meet seeded No. 4. Second Friday was Lakeland’s Will Walker in 50.58. Also, Lakeview sophomore Adam Waltman was 19th in 54.91.
* In 1-meter diving, senior Jake Budd was in second place out of the original field of 36. Sophomore teammate Austin Nemire also advanced to Saturday, as he’s currently in 14th.
* In the 400 free relay, senior A.J. Cariuty, sophomore Scott Carstens, sophomore Sam Myers and Vann were second Friday in 3:10.99.
* In the 200 free relay, Cariuty, Myers, sophomore Braden Shanks and Vann were third in 1:26.65.
* In the 100 backstroke, Carstens was fourth in 52.31. Also, sophomore Tabor Smyth made the consolation finals by placing ninth in 54.46; and Myers was 18th in 56.20.
* In the 200 free, Vann was fifth in 1:42.77.
* And, the 200 medley relay also made the championship finals, placing eighth Friday in 1:39.42. That foursome is made up of Carstens, Shanks, Waltman and Cariuty.
* In the 200 IM, Waltman made the consolation finals, finishing 12th in 2:00.86.
* And, in the 100 free, Carstens made the conso finals by placing 11th in 47.63; and Cariuty made the conso finals by placing 17th in 48.32.
* In 1-meter diving, Swett has 327.85 points after eight dives, with three remaining. He’s 23 points ahead of the second-place competitor. Swett also recently won his third straight regional. Also, senior Kyle Weck finished 19th with 232.40 points.
* In the 100 backstroke, Levi Graves made the conso finals by placing 11th in a school-record time of 55.44.
* In the 100 breaststroke, Banfield made the conso finals by finishing 11th in 1:02.32, and Cam Ragan was right behind in 12th in 1:02.38.
* In the 200 medley relay, Graves, Brice Banfield, Tyler Horn and Jack Herman made the consolation finals, placing 13th in 1:32.24.
* And, in the 500 free, Josh Turner made the conso finals by placing 14th in 4:57.09.
* Also, in the 200 free relay, Herman, Eron Hill, Graves and Turner were 18th in 1:31.91; in the 400 free relay, Turner, Jerman, Tyler MacFarland and Graves were 18th in 3:26.15; in the 200 free, and Turner was 22nd in 1:51.75; in the 50 free, Herman was 29th in 22.98.
For Harper Creek:
* In the 400 free relay, Luke Lightcap, Alex Ziegler, Jeff Mann and Jerrod Lepper made the conso finals by placing 15th in 3:24.28.
* And, in the 200 IM, Jeff Mann made the conso finals by placing 16th in 2:04.89.
* Also, the 200 free relay of Lightcap, Mann, Ziegler and Lepper was 17th in 1:31.74; Mann was 19th in the 100 breaststroke in 1:03.84; and Ziegler was 27th in the 200 free in 1:53.57 and 30th in the 500 free in 5:17.77.