1. Both teams came out a slightly lethargic in the first set; can you comment on what was causing your team to play this way?
“We came off of a really hard loss to Cleveland on Tuesday and I think that that had something to do with the lack of energy tonight. I think that that took the wind out of their sails a little bit. After that first set I sent my team out into the hallway to decide what they wanted in this match, and they decided that they wanted to win.”
2. Do you feel that your coaching style of being calm and collected helped your girls in this match?
“With this team, yes. With teams in the past I have not necessarily been as calm. I think coaching styles have to adapt with different teams and their personalities. This team happens to be one that when we get down a few points we tend to get frantic. So I try to stay calm so, hopefully, they end up staying calm.”
3. Many of your girls can set the ball very well; do you focus on a lot of fundamental aspects in practices?
“I am very focused on fundamentals as a coach. I think that if they have a strong base of fundamentals then they will usually come out on top because their technique is great.”
4. What are your thoughts on the numerous missed serves that occurred tonight?
“The missed serves tonight on our side were aggressive missed serves. Even the short serves into the net were aggressive. When I tell them to serve short I want them going for it. I would rather have them miss it short into the net than lob the ball to the back row. The missed serves that we had tonight, for the most part, were okay with me.”
5. Who is the athlete on the court that you count on most to lead your team?
“I would say Janey Woodward. She always has a positive attitude and is always lifting up her teammates. And she always has a lot of energy and a smile. She is one of my strongest hitters this year and when she is being loud and selling that middle hit we tend to win matches.”
6. Would you give a quick shout-out to your seniors and explain what they have contributed to the team this season?
“I am going to miss these two a lot. Taija Jones has been on varsity for four years. And she has been First Team All League at least two out of those four years. Ellie Lupinek has been Second Team All League and also Honorable Mention, as well as captain for three years. They are huge seniors that we are losing. They are very dear to my heart and it will be a huge loss for us for next year.”