Northwest ISD names Brad Turner Eaton FB coach
The Northwest ISD hired Brad Turner as football coach for its third high school according to ISD athletic director Susan Elza.
Turner will start the program at V.R. Eaton in August with 9th– and 10th-grade students. Eaton will add grade levels with its first senior class in 2018. Eaton, West of Interstate 35W and south of the Tarrant County Line with some students coming from Denton and Wise counties. Turner is familiar with the northwest of Fort Worth territory. He was offensive coordinator at nearby Class 4A Graham, which was 12-3 under Steers coach Kenny Davidson. Graham’s quarterback was junior Landry Turner, the OC’s son who passed for 3,281 yards and 32 touchdowns and likely will stay at Graham with no senior class at Eaton.
Brad Turner previously was head coach at Springtown and his son Logan Turner who signed with SMU before also playing at Hardin-Simmons.
Northwest has successful programs at Justin Northwest and Trophy Club Byron Nelson competing this year and next in District 5-6A. V.R. Eaton is named in honor of Wise County resident and rancher V.R. Eaton, a former Northwest ISD school board member.
Former NFL QB Richard Bartel Southwest Christian
Fort Worth Southwest Christian got in the act of hiring former Dallas Cowboys in announcing Richard Bartel as its new football coach. Bartel was a Cowboys practice squad quarterback in 2008 but spent parts of several seasons in the NFL.
Waxahachie received national attention last week in hiring 14-year NFL veteran and one-time Cowboys quarterback Jon Kitna.
A 2001 Grapevine graduate, the 31-year-old Bartel signed to play professional baseball before resuming his quarterbacking career at SMU and Tarleton. He’s also one of the state’s top private school quarterback coaches through a series of prominent QB Ranch Camps and has been an assistant at Prestonwood Christian and Argyle Liberty.
North Texas Football Coaching Changes
- South Oak Cliff Texas Tech hires away Emmett Jones
- Justin Eaton opens for UIL play in 2016
- Midlothian Heritage Lee Wiginton moves over after 5 yrs at Midlothian
- Midlothian now on the clock for new coach
- Hurst L.D. Bell .. Mark Smith leaves for SMU
- Frisco Reedy .. FISD No. 8 goes to Chad Cole (Wakeland DC)
- Skyline .. New DISD AD Gil Garza closing in on big hire
- DeSoto.. Claude Mathis to SMU
- Euless Trinity … Lineweaver retires, “internal favorable”
- Trinity Christian Addison … Steve Hayes to Enid (OK)
- Arlington Lamar .. Arlington HS grad (1990) Laban DeLay takes over
- Duncanville .. Reggie Samples from Skyline named
- Mabank .. Alan Haire from Lago Vista named
- Prosper … Names Chris Ross of Leander ISD
- Waxahachie … National attention for Jon Kitna hire
- Fort Worth Southwest Christian.. Former QB Richard Bartel hired
- Spring Westfield … 6A region II power HC Corby Meekins to UH