We have a new No. 1 team in the Central Louisiana girls basketball top 10.
Natchitoches Central’s 82-79 loss in overtime to an undefeated Red River squad Thursday at The Tepee, meant that Alexandria Senior High takes over as the top team, thanks to its win against Sam Houston.
There was little to no change in the middle, but the bottom has two new teams making their debut.
So without further ado…
1. ASH (7-1, LW: 2): The Trojan girls just keep on winning and picking up good victories. Moving into the No. 1 spot this week, Alexandria Senior High defeated Class 5A quarterfinalist Sam Houston at home and are on a four-game streak. The Lady Trojans have their first true road game this week at Jena before Leesville comes to town. THIS WEEK: at Jena (Tues.), vs. Leesville (Fri.).
2. Natchitoches Central (4-2, LW: 1): The Lady Chiefs gave undefeated Red River all it could handle before bowing out at home, 82-79, in overtime. Still one of the teams to beat in 2-5A, NCHS travels to Shreveport this week for the Fair Park Tournament and goes to South Louisiana for the Walker Tournament next week. THIS WEEK: Fair Park tournament (Dec. 10).
3. Rapides (7-0, LW: 3): Central Louisiana’s lone undefeated picked up a trio of wins last week after defeating Avoyelles Charter, Atlanta and Glenmora to go to 7-0. Freshman Jaeden Vaifanua had a triple-double against Glenmora after recording 29 points, 11 rebounds and 12 blocks and had a double-double against Atlanta. The Lady Mustangs will step up in competition with games against in consecutive days against the 3-3A trio of Marksville, Winnfield and Peabody. THIS WEEK: vs. Marksville (Tues.), Pineville/Tioga Tournament (Dec. 9-12).
4. Fairview (12-2, LW: 4): Despite suffering a loss to Class 2A powerhouse North Caddo, the Panther girls remain in the top five after another win against Class 5A competition when it took down Sam Houston. Fairview is now 3-0 against Class 5A teams with a matchup against Barbe looming in this week. THIS WEEK: at Oberlin (Mon.), at Pickering (Tues.), Barbe Tournament (Dec. 9-12).
5. Pineville (2-3, LW: 5): The Lady Rebels stormed into the win column in a huge way this week with impressive blowout victories over Peabody and Byrd. Senior swingman Danyale Bayonne (28 points) and junior center Krystal Freeman (20 points) were key against the Lady Warhorses — both leading the way by cracking the 20-point plateau. The Lady Rebels will have their first home games this week in the Pineville/Tioga tournament. THIS WEEK: at Winnfield (Tues.), Pineville/Tioga Tournament (Dec. 9-12).
6. University (7-2, LW: 6): The Lady Lions were not at 100 percent and lost at East Rankin last Tuesday and had their game against Adams County postponed. UA enters district play at Hillcrest and Copiah this week. THIS WEEK: at Hillcrest (Tues.), at Copiah (Sat).
7. Lakeview (5-2, LW: 7): The Lady Gators eked out a 44-42 win against Evangel Tuesday to go to 5-2 and to win its home opener in The Swamp. Junior swingman Ny’Keria Jones led the way with 20 points and 13 rebounds for her first double-double this season, while LaTara Brumfield added 13 boards. The Lady Gators are on the road for a pair of games this week, including at Ville Platte, which defeated them, 43-37, Nov. 27. THIS WEEK: at Leesville (Tues.), at Ville Platte (Fri.).
8. St. Mary’s (4-2, LW: 8): Due to the football team playing in New Orleans, the Lady Tigers were idle this week and their game at St. Frederick was moved to Monday. That will begin a stretch were St. Mary’s plays three games in four days. THIS WEEK: at St. Frederick (Mon.), at Negreet (Tues.), vs. Loyola (Thurs.).
9. Winnfield (4-3, LW: NR): The Tigerettes make their first appearance on this list after wins against Caldwell Parish and Jonesboro-Hodge to get over .500. A senior-laden team with depth, Winnfield hopes it can compete for the 3-3A title. The Tigerettes have four games in four days this week — three against 5A teams. THIS WEEK: vs. Pineville (Tues.), Pineville/Tioga tournament (Dec. 9-12).
10. Menard (4-4, LW: NR): Despite falling to Plainview, the Lady Eagles move into this list after going 2-1 last week and having a win against 2015 Class 5A runner-up Walker on their resume. It will be a busy week for Menard this week with a game against Pineville at the Pineville/Tioga Tournament Wednesday. THIS WEEK: at Grace Christian (Mon.), Pineville/Tioga Tournament (Dec. 9-12).
Gafford’s 11th: Leesville (3-5, LW: 9): A tough week for the Lady Cats as they lost to Natchitoches Central and Mansfield, yet remain on the list in the Gafford’s 11th position. Leesville welcomes Lakeview and travels to ASH this week in an attempt to get back to .500. THIS WEEK: vs Lakeview (Tues), at ASH (Fri.).