Tampa, Florida — Two Christian high schools are being told members of their football teams, their fans, and coaches are not allowed to pray together.
They want to pray just before the kickoff of their State Championship game tomorrow at the Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando.
The ruling comes in an email from the head of the Florida State High School Athletic Association, Dr. Roger Dearing. Dearing took less than four hours to think about it and then killed any thought of a prayer before the game.
Cambridge Christian School in Tampa will face University Christian from Jacksonville and they thought since both teams were private Christian schools, that a prayer over the loud speakers would be appropriate to start the game. The staff at University Christian agreed.
However, the head of the Florida State Athletic League ruled because the game is being played at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, which is predominately paid for with tax dollars, and because the Athletic Association is a state agency, prayer is not allowed.
The head of Cambridge Christian Tim Euler says the ruling makes no sense.
“Here’s the problem,” Euler told us, “Florida State Legislature is opened up with prayer in a building that is paid by tax dollars. What is the difference?”
He adds, “If they can pray there, we can pray here, and I want them to be able to pray there and I want us to be able to pray here. So I think his reasoning is flawed at the core of it.”
We tried to get further clarification from the Florida High School Athletic Association, to see how its ruling jives with what goes on in the legislature, but no one returned our calls.
Meanwhile, we want to know what you think, go to 10News WTSP on Facebook and join the conversation.
Athletic Association preying on prayer at Christian game
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE…
- ‘Darth Vader’ arrested after Jacksonville Beach attempted robbery
- Did Scott Kelly tweet a photo of a UFO?
- Baby dies after siblings put her in oven, turn it on
- ‘Gator Girl’ helps wrangle loose gator on TX golf course
- Christmas decorations nearly bring down Coast Guard plane
- 10 worst toys for 2015
- Baby’s mom posts whooping cough Facebook plea
- ‘Pastafarian’ allowed to wear spaghetti strainer in driver’s license photo
- The most popular name for baby girls in the world is…
- Florida woman, 88, opens fire at intruder
- WATCH: Mom posts rant about school drop-off zone etiquette