Tournament set for Jan. 12-17 at Valley
Fresh off capturing a tournament championship on Wednesday night, the Ballard High School boys’ basketball team on Thursday was named the No. 1 seed for the Republic Bank Louisville Invitational Tournament.
The 68th annual LIT is set for Jan. 12-17 at Valley and will include the top 20 teams from the Sixth and Seventh Regions in the SETH Power Rankings, a system created by Jefferson County Public Schools director of athletics Jerry Wyman.
Ballard improved to 11-2 on Wednesday by routing host Christ Presbyterian 99-76 in the championship game of the Next Level Hoops Fest in Nashville, Tenn. The Bruins are 7-0 against Kentucky competition, and their only losses came to Montverde (Fla.) – ranked No. 1 in the nation by USA Today – and King of the Bluegrass champion St. John’s of Washington, D.C.
Ballard will open LIT play at 6:30 p.m. on Jan. 14 against the winner of a first-round game between Male and Shawnee.
Following Ballard as the top four seeds in the tournament are Manual, Doss and Trinity.
Manual (11-1) finished fifth in the Traditional Bank Holiday Classic at Lexington Catholic, with its only loss coming to eventual champion Henderson County in the quarterfinals.
Doss (9-2) took third place in the King of the Bluegrass at Fairdale and fifth place in the Meijer Holiday Classic at Bowling Green, with its losses coming to Taylor County and Christian County.
Trinity (9-3) finished third in the Traditional Bank Holiday Classic after losing to Henderson County in the semifinals.
The LIT field includes 11 teams from the Seventh Region and nine from the Sixth. North Bullitt (8-5) edged out Beth Haven (9-1) for the 20th and final spot.
Here is the tournament schedule (seeds in parentheses):
* Monday, Jan. 12 – Butler (18) vs. Western (15), 3:30 p.m.; Shawnee (17) vs. Male (16), 5; Christian Academy (19) vs. Waggener (14), 6:30; North Bullitt (20) vs. St. Xavier (13), 8:15
* Tuesday, Jan. 13 – Fern Creek (9) vs. Eastern (8), 3:30 p.m.; Central (12) vs. Pleasure Ridge Park (5), 5; Seneca (10) vs. Bullitt East (7), 6:30; Fairdale (11) vs. DeSales (6), 8:15
* Wednesday, Jan. 14 – Butler-Western winner vs. Manual (2), 3:30 p.m.; Christian Academy-Waggener winner vs. Doss (3), 5; Shawnee-Male winner vs. Ballard (1), 6:30; North Bullitt-St. Xavier winner vs. Trinity (4), 8:30
* Friday, Jan. 16 – Fairdale-DeSales winner vs. Christian Academy-Waggener-Doss survivor, 4 p.m.; Seneca-Bullitt East winner vs. Butler-Western-Manual survivor, 5:30; Fern Creek-Eastern winner vs. Shawnee-Male-Ballard survivor, 7; Central-Pleasure Ridge Park winner vs. North Bullitt-St. Xavier-Trinity survivor, 8:45
* Saturday, Jan. 17 – Semifinals at 10 and 11:30 a.m.; championship at 7:45 p.m.