Dominic D’Alessandro’s home run was one of just three hits for Glassboro High School in Friday’s South Jersey Group 2 baseball tournament game, but the Bulldogs still advanced, tripping visiting Barnegat, 4-0, in the sectional quarterfinals.
Glassboro, seeded fourth, relied on Ken Dobbins’ four-hit pitching with no walks allowed to register the shutout.
D’Alessandro belted a solo homer, Mike Maldonado doubled and Brandon Muzyka drove in a run for Glassboro, which benefitted from five walks and two errors by fifth-seeded Barnegat.
• Haddonfield 2, Audubon 0: In the fourth inning, Thomas Gosse drove in Charlie Clarke to break the scoreless tie and Tommy Kadar followed by knocking in Jake Thorndike. Pitcher Drew Dark used 96 pitches to stop the Green Wave on six hits.
• Deptford 13, Atlantic Tech 4: Eight first-inning ignited the Spartans’ offense, led by Matt Jefferson’s two singles, a double, two walks, two runs scored and three runs batted in. Josh Kristol chipped in with two hits and two RBIs in the 13-hit surge.
S.J. GROUP 4
• Cherokee 2, Washington Twp. 1: The Chiefs managed unearned runs in the third and fifth innings as pinch-runner Jack Walters scored on a two-out error and courtesy runner Mike Druce scored the winning run on Shane Albertson’s sacrifice fly. Quinn Taylor got the win with reliever Jarrad Delarso notching his second save.
For the Minutemen, pitcher Rich Racobaldo had 10 strikeouts and four hits allowed, and Nick Grosso’s sacrifice fly brought in the run.
• Eastern 6, Clearview 0: Alex Schwartz held Clearview to just two hits in the quarterfinal victory that was the eighth shutout of the season for the top-seeded Vikings. Corey Kreston and Matt Woods had doubles in a 13-hit offensive attack.
• Williamstown 7, Cherry Hill West 4: Tommy Gibson doubled and drove in two runs, and Ross Micka and Steven Hawk added RBIs for Williamstown, which jumped ahead early with a four-run first inning. Tyler Apt threw five solid innings, backed by standout defensive plays from outfielders Nick D’Alessandro and Anthony Racobaldo.
• Toms River North 6, Egg Harbor Twp. 4: The Eagles got two hits each from Nick Pera (2 RBI), Bryan Brubaker, Mike Lahoud and Andrew Holmes in the loss to second-seeded TRN.
S.J. GROUP 3
• Toms River South 7, Triton 3: Home runs off the bats of South’s Ray Liguori (4 RBIs) and Corey Nase sent Triton out of the playoffs. The Mustangs’ Dylan Gallagher had a double and a home run, and Dan Venella knocked in a pair of runs.
S.J. GROUP 1
• Haddon Heights 12, Schalick 2: Heights turned a 3-2 lead into an easy six-inning win by scoring eight runs in the fifth inning. Frank Delaney had two of the Garnets’ five doubles, and Skylar Glover lofted a home run.
• Wildwood 5, Penns Grove 3: The Warriors earned a semifinal berth by getting a game-winning two-run homer in the bottom of the seventh by Brendan Bean (2-for-3, 4 RBIs) that also scored Andrew Mormile. Winning relief pitcher Chris Mormile added a single, a triple and scored twice.
• Gateway 7, Riverside 3: Dan Ream’s three-run triple punctuated the Gators’ six-run fifth inning. Ryan Teschko drove in two runs with a single and a double, and winning pitcher Kevin Teschko struck out eight in six innings.
S.J. NON-PUBLIC A
• Gloucester Catholic 5, Paul VI 0: Keanu Kelli fueled the Rams’ offense by going 3-for-3 with a double and three runs batted in. Jake Gillis doubled in a run and pitcher John Murphy fanned nine in five scoreless innings of the one-hit shutout.
• St. Augustine 6, Donovan Catholic 1: Mike Vasturia’s ninth complete-game pitching effort in as many starts this season put the Hermits in the next round.
Cody Sadreameli slapped a two-run single in the third inning and a run-scoring double in the sixth. Designated hitter Anthony Meduri also went 3-for-4 with a double and two runs scored.
S.J. NON-PUBLIC B
• Holy Spirit 8, St. Joseph 1: Chris Lefferts launched a three-run home run and drove in half of the Spartans’ eight runs, while Anthony Boselli went 3-for-4 and matched Tommy Burns and Nick Cordivari with two runs scored apiece. Bobby Spicer struck out 11 Wildcats in six innings.
C.J. GROUP 3
• No. Burlington 2, Ocean Twp. 1: Adam Rapp delivered a two-run double in the first inning and Greyhounds pitcher Ryan Shinn made the runs stand up for a quarterfinal victory.
Shinn improved to 8-0 this spring by allowing three hits, o earned runs and striking out seven batters.
C.J. GROUP 2
• Cinnaminson 5, Delran 4: The Pirates managed to squeeze past Delran for the third time this season, overcoming a 4-1 deficit with four runs in the fourth inning.
Nick Thevanayagam doubled twice, singled and drove in a run, and Travis Pewor and Jimmy Cicale each added two hits and an RBI to the triumph.
• Cedar Creek 16, Bridgeton 5: The Pirates’ Zach Newman (5 RBI) hit a two-run homer and Alex Boney added a grand slam.