Gloucester Catholic High School snapped a two-game losing streak in convincing fashion with an 11-4 victory over Marietta, Ga., on Wednesday at the Louisville Slugger Spring Classic baseball tourney in Emerson, Ga..
The Rams, ranked No. 1 in the Courier-Post Top 15, were powered by Anthony Harrold, who drove in three runs on two hits. Fran Kinsey, Sean Breen, and Jake Gillis combined for five hits and six RBI as Gloucester Catholic pounded out 12 hits.
MINGO BAY CLASSIC
• St. Augustine 8, Chardon (Ohio) 2: The No. 2 Hermits (5-0) broke open the game in the second inning on a three-run double from Chris Troost. Winning pitcher Mike Vasturia helped his own cause with a first inning RBI single as St. Augustine, which won its second game in the Myrtle Beach tourney. The Hermits face Louisville Male (Kentucky) Thursday.
• Bishop O’Connell (Va.) 2, Buena 1: Losing pitcher Denny Brady recorded ten strikeouts and allowed five hits in a six-inning stint. He singled home the Chiefs’ lone run.
• Cherokee 1, Lake City (S.C.) 0: Brian Marconi fanned nine over five strong innings and Drew Rowan finished off the two-hit gem with two scoreless frames for the win. Anthony Martinelli accounted for the game’s lone run when he scored on an error in the second inning.
• Highland 2, St. Vincent-St. Mary (Ohio)1: Brian Gallante doubled home Zach Hall with the winning run in the top of the seventh inning for the Tartans, who will face Fordham Prep Thursday in Myrtle Beach. Christian Scafidi went the distance for Highland, allowing three hits and fanning seven.
• Liverpool (N.Y.) 6, Lenape 3 : Sam Belanger singled, driving in Garrett Mahon and Ryan Shutes,, while Tommy Gardiner chipped in with a RBI single for Lenape.
• Lenape 12, Niles McKinley (Ohio) 5: The Indians bounced back behind Ben Harris who went 3-for-3, scored four times and knocked in three runs. Brandon Kay contributed a pair of RBIs to lead a 12-hit attack.
DISNEY WORLD TOURNEY
• Shawnee 10, Kenosha (Wisconsin) 7: The Renegades were sparked by Michael Welsh who went 2-for-4 with two RBI and Sean Heslin who knocked in three runs on a pair of hits.
• Skyline (Colorado) 4, Rancocas Valley 3: Josh Morgan had two hits and drove in two runs for the Red Devils, who fell in eight innings.
CAMDEN CO. TOURNEY
• Timber Creek 7, Sterling 1: Jason Reynolds had two hits and teamed up with Jake Vespe to drive in four runs for the Chargers. Zach Lutner notched the win and combined with Anthony DiMartino to hurl a four-hitter. Lutner struck out nine in a five-inning performance, while DiMartino fanned three in two innings of relief.
• Haddon Township 13, LEAP Academy 2: The Hawks were sparked by winning pitcher Kieran Burns, who went 2-for-5 with five RBIs and registered five strikeouts in picking up his first varsity win.
• Triton 8, Haddon Heights 7: The Mustangs edged the Garnets in a game stopped in the top of the sixth inning because of darkness. Triton took an 8-4 lead on a three-run double by Darren Aupperle in the top of the fifth inning.
• Winslow 7, Harrells Christian Academy (North Carolina) 2: The Eagles captured third place in the tourney held in Ocean Isle Beach, NC, behind the hitting of Wayne Jackson and pitching of Nick Kuriger. Jackson put Winslow in front 7-2 when he ripped a three-run, fifth-inning home run. Kuriger tossed six innings, scattering four hits and striking out four.
• Delran 10, Willingboro 0: Ryan Albertson threw a two-hitter, while Ben Youngberg and Brenden Pell each went 2-for-3 with a pair of RBI and Wilson Seville went 2-for-2 with two runs scored for the Bears.