BRADENTON — For the first time in history, the Bishop Verot girls golf team is headed to the state tournament.
The Vikings took second place in the Region A-6 tournament Monday at windy Bradenton Country Club, finishing just one shot behind winner and host team Saint Stephens. But since the top two teams move on to the state tournament, it didn’t matter to Verot coach Ed Lockard that his team was edged out for first place.
“We had a team goal to get to the states this year and we did,” said Lockard. “We played excellent all year long. We were 11-1 in the regular season. Hallianne Hobson played great all year long and played great today. The whole team played really nice. It was fun to watch.”
Lauren Lockard was actually the low scorer for the Vikings with an 83, followed by Hobson with an 84. Other players for Verot were Claire Sattler (100), Carolina Snell (107) and Rory Freeman (145).
Saint Stephens, which carded a team score of 373, was paced by co-medalist Vanessa Yan, who shot a 78 to tie St. John Neumann’s Sydney Shrader for first place.
Other Lee County teams competing were Canterbury School, which finished sixth with a 474 total, and Southwest Florida Christian finished seventh with a total score of 485.
The other individual qualifier was Anna Marie Kuenzle of Seacrest Country Day, who shot an 85 to move on to next week’s competition at the Mission Inn in Howey-In-The-Hills.
But Lockard says his team is not satisfied with just getting to the state tournament.
“We’d like to go up there and have a strong showing,” said Lockard. “We’ve got some kids that can play and who knows what can happen. But when you get to this level, there’s some really stiff competition, four or five girls can shoot really low. But we’ve got some kids that certainly can and hopefully, we’ll be right there.”
Region A-6 girls golf tournament
1. Saint Stephens 373 2. Bishop Verot 374 3. Community School of Naples 403 4. Out-Of-Door Academy 430 5. Cardinal Mooney 452 6. Canterbury School 474 7. Southwest Florida Christian 485
1. SAINT STEPHENS (373): Vanessa Yan 78, Michelle Yan 89, Kendall Miller 100, Maria Huang 106, Catherine Huang 107.
2. BISHOP VEROT (374): Lauren Lockard 83, Hallianne Hobson 84, Claire Sattler 100, Caroline Snell 107, Rory Freeman 145.
3. COMMUNITY SCHOOL (403): Katy Wells 96, Mya Messina 99, Elizabeth Amendola 100, Anne Ritter 108, Kassi Hall 112.
4. OUT-OF-DOOR (430): Wendy Tan 97, Christy Wyatt 102, Vivian Kuang 103, Paula Klar 128.
5. CARDINAL MOONEY (452): Kali Plattner 93, Morgan Windsor 110, Erin McConnell 115, Amelia Garey 134.
6. CANTERBURY SCHOOL (474): Hannah Bailey 105, Alice Bailey 117, Eve Bailey 120, Ingrid Leigh 152.
7. SOUTHWEST FLORIDA CHRISTIAN (485): Olivia Bohannon 99, Emily Higganbotham 106, Amanda Higganbotham 117, Rebecca Sullivan 163.
OTHER SCORES: Sydney Shrader, St. John Neumann, 78; Anna Marie Kuenzle , Seacrest Country Day, 85; Natasha Lewicki, Imagine School, 97; Amanda Russell, Oasis, 105; Melainey Lowe, Oasis, 127; Laney Taylor, Oasis, 133; Maddy Voigt, Sarasota Christian, 138; Duneshka Cruz, Marco Island Academy, 141.