The fourth-seeded Atlantic City High School boys soccer team recorded its first-ever playoff victory, beating No. 13 Toms River North, 2-0, in the opening round of the South Jersey Group 4 tournament on Tuesday.
Shadrach Asadu had a direct kick redirected into the net for an own goal in the first half for the Vikings, and added a second-half tally to ice the win. The sophomore has 25 goals this season.
Freshman Jonathan Murillo (five saves) and senior Caleb Acheampong (three saves) combined on the shutout as the Vikings, who launched their program in 1979, won their program-record 14th game of the season to advance to the quarterfinals.
In South Jersey Group 1 action, Lindenwold defeated Cape May Tech 8-2 as the Lions roared to their first playoff win in school history. Jesus Cardenas recorded a hat trick and Javier Ramirez had a goal and three assists in the milestone win for Jason Snyder, who is in his ninth season as the head coach after serving as an assistant for three years. This is the 15th year of the program.
S.J. Group 4
• Rancocas Valley 3, Kingsway 3: The fifth seeded Red Devils survived a big scare against the No. 12 Dragons as they advanced in sudden death penalty kicks, 4-3. Matt Hannan scored twice in regulation, and Luis Rivadeneira netted two goals during the shootout. Dylan Mohan stopped the final shot in the sudden death shootout to preserve the win.
• Washington Twp. 3, Cherry Hill East 0: The top-seeded Minutemen broke the ice on George Charalabidis’ unassisted goal nearly 10 minutes into the second half. Scott Graham and Brent Keeley later added insurance goals and Matt Tini made three saves to preserve the shutout for the defending state Group 4 champions.
• Cherokee 6, Clearview 0: The No. 2 Chiefs scored three goals in each half and rolled to a first-round victory. Jake Treiber and Christian Ognibene led the offense with two goals apiece.
• Eastern 3, Trenton 0: Diego Valle scored on a penalty kick and assisted on another goal as the Vikings jumped out to a 2-0 halftime lead en route to the first-round win. Gabe Sable and Brett Cooper had a combined shutout.
• Egg Harbor Twp. 1, Millville 0: Michael Izquierdo scored off Andrew Fernandes’ assist in the second half to lift the Eagles. Matthew Moreno stopped all four of Millville’s shots.
S.J. Group 3
• Hammonton 5, Mainland 1: The Blue Devils broke it open with three second-half goals after taking a 2-1 lead into halftime. Vincent Petulla and Logan Stafford had two goals apiece to lead the attack.
• Cherry Hill West 6, ACIT 2: Nick Krake netted four goals for the Lions as they ousted Atlantic County Tech.
• Central Regional 1, Seneca 0: Jake Dunfer scored the only goal of the game in the second half and Matt Diaz stopped 12 shots as Central advanced.
• Ocean City 3, Timber Creek 0: Matt Brook, Aaron King and Andrew Tomaino scored the goals and Russell Lindsay recorded the shutout for the No. 5 Red Raiders.
• Delsea 5, Bridgeton 0: Jake Hughes stopped six saves for the shutout and Jordan Lawrence led the offensive attack with a pair of goals and an assist.
• Lacey Twp. 3, Deptford 0: Robert Biele had a pair of goals to spark Lacey.
• Toms River South 6, Cumberland 0: Robert Andrade had to make just one save to earn a shutout.
S.J. Group 2
• Cinnaminson 2, Pinelands 2: The No. 7 Pirates advanced in a shootout, 4-1, connecting on their first four kicks. Corey Cusack and Matt O’Connell scored in regulation for Cinnaminson.
• Middle Twp. 3, Lower Cape May 1: Lower’s Chris Suttera scored with 10 minutes left to play to cut the deficit to 2-1, but Trent Canter answered with an insurance goal, his 17th of the season, to secure the win for the Panthers. Canter opened the scoring for Middle, which improved to 17-1.
• Pleasantville 3, Audubon 1: Oscar Mancia had two goals and an assist as the Greyhounds ousted the Green Wave.
• Delran 2, West Deptford 0: Cole Clifford and Jeremy Rafanello scored for the Bears and Phillipe Alves had to make just one save in the shutout win.
• Sterling 2, Collingswood 0: The Silver Knights advanced to a quarterfinal matchup at Pleasantville as Tylor Giddins and Justin Hofacker scored to support the shutout goaltending of Tyler Blair.
• Manasquan 2, Oakcrest 0: Chris Black assisted on both goals for Manasquan.
S.J. Group 1
• Gateway 4, Pitman 4: The 11th-seeded Gators upset No. 6 Pitman by winning in penalty kicks, 3-1. Gateway rallied with three straight second-half goals to take a 4-3 lead before Pitman’s Kyle Leach scored on a peanlty kick to force overtime. Tyler Kizitaff scored a pair of goals and added an assist to pace the Gator offense.
• Palmyra 2, Woodbury 1: Ryan Carducci and Damien Jennings scored second-half goals as the No. 4 Panthers averted the upset. Isaiah Rose scored for the No. 13 Thundering Herd.
• Glassboro 4, Penns Grove 0: The No. 3 Bulldogs exploded for four second-half goals to pull away. John Archibald, Sefa Gocmez, Chance O’Connor and Durson Ortak all scored and Shaun Dowdy had five saves for a shutout.
• Schalick 8, Riverside 0: Michael D’Orio, Dan Farrell and Jake Puglia had two goals apiece as the top-seeded Cougars jumped out to a 4-0 lead by halftime en route to an easy win.
• Haddon Heights 5, Clayton 1: Nick Mosko led the attack for the Garnets with a goal and two assists, while Jake Roselle and Kevin Kolaski posted a goal and an assist.
• Haddon Twp. 5, Pennsville 3: The Hawks jumped out to a 5-2 halftime lead and hung on to advance. Chris Kobsar and Jeb Howley each recorded a goal and an assist to lead the attack.
• Woodstown 6, Maple Shade 1: Andrew Blaszczyk scored a hat trick as the Wolverines rolled.
Non-Public A South
• Paul VI 4, Bishop Eustace 1: Ji Park scored a pair of goals as the No. 7 Eagles advanced.
• Bishop Ahr 1, Camden Catholic 0: Anthony Tirri stopped eight shots in goal and Patrick Hartman tallied the lone goal as Bishop Ahr elminated the Irish.
Non-Public B South
• Holy Cross 4, Wardlaw-Hartridge 1: Mat Shaddow and Pat Harkansan had two goals each and Connor Reilly finished with three assists as the Lancers advanced to play top-seeded Gloucester Catholic.
C.J. Group 3
• Neptune 4, Westampton Tech 1: Jontae Graves scored the lone goal for the Panthers as they were eliminated.
• Ocean Twp. 3, Moorestown 0: Marhlens Nasanes scored twice as No. 3 Ocean Township ousted the No. 14 Quakers.
• Burlington Twp. 2, Lawrence 2: The No. 5 Falcons survived a scare from No. 12 Lawrence, advancing on penalty kicks, 3-1. Christian Sumaa and Zac Waszkiewicz scored in regulation for Township.
• Northern Burlington 7, Pemberton 2: Kyle Adams, Brad Forman and Christian Herdt each had two goals as the Greyhounds sprinted to a 4-0 halftime lead en route to the win. Nazir Britt scored twice for the Hornets in defeat.
C.J. Group 2
• Bordentown 4, Hillside 1: The second-seeded Scotties scored two goals in each half to advance. Adam Bijou and Matt Horner scored two goals each.
C.J. Group 1
• Florence 5, Manville 0: Nick Hazel and Hunter Swanson scored two goals each as the Flashes crusied into the quarterfinals.
• Burlington City 7, Keyport 2: Franis Kanu had two goals and two assists and Brandon Otting also scored twice as the Blue Devils exploded for five second-half goals to break it open.
• New Egypt 2, Middlesex 0: Andrew Agostinacchio and Anthony Burr scored first-half goals and Tim Blomgren stopped nine shots for the shutout as the Warriors moved on.
• Westtown 4, Moorestown Friends 2: Ian Davies scored a pair of goals as Westtown upended the Foxes in the Quaker Cup final. Matthew Mullock scored both goals in the losing cause for Friends.