Cristian Ognibene broke through with a goal with just 7 minutes left in the second half and helped Cherokee High School grab a 1-1 Olympic Conference draw at Washington Township in a battle of two of South Jersey’s top boys’ soccer teams on Friday.
John Dalesandro put the Minutemen, ranked No. 3 in the Courier-Post’s preseason Top 15, ahead on a goal five minutes into the first half.
Ognibene’s goal came one minute after second-ranked Cherokee narrowly missed a tying goal when Washington Township goalie Matt Tini deflected a shot off the crossbar. The Minutemen won the school’s first state championship a year ago.
Kick Start Tournament
• Haddon Heights 1, Deptford 0: The Garnets advanced to the tournament final at Highland on Saturday as freshman Mark Weber started his varsity career with a game-winning goal off an assist by senior Jake Roselle.
• Florence 3, Pemberton 0: Will Lazdins and Nathan Bogdovics made two saves apiece and shared the shutout in goal for the Flashes. Amandip Kahler had a goal and an assist, and Nick Hazel and Sefa Ocak also netted first-half goals.
• No. Burlington 2, Cinnaminson 0: Deon Bullard assisted on goals by Kyle Adams and Christian Herdt as the Greyhounds surprised 13th-ranked Cinnaminson, which won 19 games last fall.
• Burlington Twp. 3, Moorestown 0: Logan Amey stopped all six shots he faced in the Falcons’ net and teammate Rotimi Adewumi scored twice.
• Bordentown 5, Trenton Catholic 0: Matt Horner and Andre Justin ignited the Scotties’ offense as each registered two goals and two assists.
• Atlantic City 3, Oakcrest 0: Shadrach Asadu accounted for all of the Vikings’ offense, scoring a hat trick, aided by assists from Mohammed Karim and Edras Palma.
• Rancocas Valley 2, Clearview 0: Rancocas beat the No. 15 Pioneers as Tyler Kazmirowicz assisted Luis Rivadeneira twice for goals outside the penalty area in the final six minutes of the second half. Centerback Trenton Hall and midfielder Dom Palmucci provided solid play for the Red Devils.
• Moorestown Friends 4, Westampton Tech 0: Matthew Mullock had a goal and two assists, Andrew Denittis added a goal and an assist, senior Andrew Cates scored his first varsity goal and Foxes goalie Josh Murdy had the shutout.
• Winslow Twp. 4, Overbrook 3 (OT): Each team scored three goals after halftime, including Kevin Mercedes’ game-winner two minutes into overtime.
• Gateway 3, Pennsville 2: First-half goals from Dominic DeGeorge, Ryan Hudson and Tommy Lombardo gave the Gators enough of a cushion to hold off Pennsville. DeGeorge also had an assist.
• Audubon 3, Gloucester 0: Ethan Eppler notched a pair of goals, and goalie Andrew Fehr anchored the shutout for Audubon.