Drew Ruble’s goal early in the second half proved to be the game-winner as the Shawnee High School boys’ soccer team upended Cherry Hill West, 2-1, in Olympic Conference action on Tuesday.
The Renegades, ranked ninth in the Courier-Post’s Mean 15, improved to 8-4 while the Lions, ranked seventh, fell to 7-4.
It was alumni night at the game and Shawnee’s 1992-93 back-to-back state championship teams were recognized.
J.T. Mogan celebrated by opening the scoring for the Renegades with just 19 seconds left in the first half. Ruble made it 2-0 with an assist from Tim Birney five minutes into the second half.
The Lions made it close on a goal by Jason Kahan with 10 minutes left in the game.
- Lenape 1, Bishop Eustace 0: Sean Donnelly scored off an assist from Jack Barlow in the second half for the only tally of the game. Collin Day made five saves to earn the shutout.
- Cherokee 2, Seneca 1: The second-ranked Chiefs needed an overtime goal to avert the upset. Cristian Ognibene and Justin McCarthy scored the goals in the win.
John Meale tallied for the Golden Eagles, while Gus Valeriano made 13 saves to keep it close.
- Cherry Hill East 4, Camden Catholic 0: Gavin Wecshler scored twice to lead the offense and Lee Rosen-Swell made four saves to get the shutout for the Cougars, who scored all of their goals in the second half.
- Burlington City 7, Willingboro 1: Osman Kakir and Francis Kanu scored two goals apiece to lead the Blue Devils.
- Maple Shade 4, Florence 3: Doran Key had a hat trick and assisted on Devin Plumlee’s goal as the Wildcats prevailed in overtime. Nick Hazel scored twice in a losing cause for the Flashes.
- New Egypt 4, Pemberton 1: The Warriors exploded for three second-half goals to pull away for the victory. Billy Frazier had two goals and Andrew Agostinacchio had a goal and an assist to lead the way.
- Cinnaminson 2, Moorestown 1: Tim Campbell and Mason Stepnowski scored with assists from Pat McCarthy as No. 11 Cinnaminson held off the Quakers. Andrew DeMalo scored for Moorestown.
- Holy Cross 2, Trenton Catholic 1: Mat Shaddow scored goals in the eighth and 19th minute of the second half to lift the Lancers to the comeback win.
- Medford Tech 1, Riverside 0: Timothy McHale scored the lone goal in the second half and Jacob Powell stopped 16 saves for the shutout for the Jaguars.
- Lindenwold 4, Haddon Twp. 3: Oumar Sylla had a hat trick and Jesus Cardenas had a goal and an assist as the Lions moved to 9-3.
- Gateway 3, Woodbury 2: Chase Conover, Dominic DeGeorge and Nick Steigerwald scored in the first half to spark the Gators. Clayton Catando and Isaiah Rose scored in the second half for the Herd to make it close.
- Haddon Heights 6, Paulsboro 0: Jake Roselle had a goal and two assists and Billy Labine and Andrew Gibson both scored their first career varsity goals in the win.
- Pennsville 4, Wildwood 1: The Eagles scored all of their goals in the first half, including a pair by Ryan Cruice. Dennis McAllister scored in the second half for Wildwood to avert the shutout.
- Delsea 3, Hammonton 2: Doug Gant, Frank Knapp and Jordan Lawrence scored as the Crusaders overcame a two-goal performance by Hammonton’s Vincent Petulla.
- Millville 9, Lower Cape May 0: Jack Beck and Alex Bruman had two goals each as the Thunderbolts rolled to an easy win.
- Westtown 3, Moorestown Friends 1: Matthew Mullock scored the lone goal for the Foxes as they fell to 7-4 overall.
- Kings Christian 9, Cape Christian 1: Ryan Anderson scored four goals and assisted on three others as the Knights romped.