Cooper Rush had a strong finish to spring drills for the Central Michigan football team.
The Lansing Catholic grad was sharp under center while leading the Maroon team to a 27-6 victory over the Gold in the Chippewas’ spring game over the weekend.
Rush completed 22 of 26 passes for 197 yards and three touchdowns.
The strong ending to the spring for Rush comes after he concluded his second season as a starter with a record-setting performance in the Bahamas Bowl. Rush threw for a school-record 493 yards and seven touchdowns while nearly helping CMU overcome a 35-point deficit in a 49-48 loss to Western Kentucky.
Rush wasn’t the only area graduate to contribute in Saturday’s spring contest. Kicker Brian Eavey (Grand Ledge) made three extra points.
• OAKLAND: Catcher Ian Yetsko (DeWitt) is the second-leading hitter for the Grizzlies baseball team. Yetsko is batting .322 with a team-high 23 RBI and 17 doubles for Oakland, which is 9-29. Yetsko had a double and drove in two in a win over CMU on Wednesday.
Elle Nichols (Okemos) was named to the Horizon League’s women’s golf all-tournament team after helping the Grizzlies to a runner-up finish. She placed sixth individually at the conference tournament.
• STANFORD : Katie Dudley (Okemos) had a goal to help the Cardinal water polo team to a 9-6 win over USC in the third-place game of the MPSF tournament. Dudley has 21 goals for Stanford, which is 22-2 and will face Princeton or Wagner in the NCAA quarterfinals next week.
• INDIANA TECH: Junior Harris Edwards III (Grand Ledge) was named the WHAC men’s track athlete of the week Tuesday. He helped Indiana Tech’s sprint medley relay team finish third behind Penn State and LSU at the Penn Relays last weekend.
• HILLSDALE: Connor Bartlett (Lansing Catholic) has been one of the top offensive performers for the Chargers baseball team this spring. The junior outfielder is hitting .277 with eight doubles, three homers and has driven in 24 runs for Hillsdale, which is 17-28.
• GRAND VALLEY: Tyler Polulak (DeWitt) was recently named second team all-GLIAC in men’s golf. The junior had three top-10 finishes this season, which included placing second at the GLIAC Championship. He and the Lakers will compete in the NCAA tournament next week.
• ALBION: Sophomore Zach Hubbell (Haslett) was named first team all-MIAA in men’s lacrosse Wednesday. Hubbell helped the Britons win the MIAA title.
• ALMA: Junior Jared Guy (Portland) was named the MIAA tennis player of the week. He won the decisive match while helping the Scots to wins over Trine and Calvin.
• DAVENPORT: Junior Kyle Oswald (Lansing Catholic) helped the Panthers win the WHAC regular season and tournament men’s lacrosse titles. He was recently named first team all-WHAC.
• AQUINAS: Senior Tim Hansen (Lansing Catholic) was named first team all-WHAC in men’s lacrosse.
Know of a Lansing-area grad performing at the college level? Send updates to email@example.com