Coshocton recovers from slow start in 2-2 tie

Coshocton recovers from slow start in 2-2 tie


Coshocton recovers from slow start in 2-2 tie


Alex McPeak dribbles the ball away from a Tri-Valley attacker.

Alex McPeak dribbles the ball away from a Tri-Valley attacker.

COSHOCTON — There were questionable calls all over the field during a cold and rainy 2-2 tie between the Coshocton boys soccer team and Tri-Valley.

Fouls and no calls on both sides were questioned by fans, coaches and players, but none bigger than a non-handball call with 33 minutes to play in the game.

Trailing 2-1, Ben Batchelor got his foot on a ball about six yards out and with the goalie out of position he took the shot. It seemed as if a Tri-Valley defender’s hand got on it.

“It was a cluster in the middle and one of their kids went to clear it and it just ricocheted right off his hand,” Brice George said. “We all kind of stopped and waited for the call.”

But the call never came and play continued. Instead of complaining about the lack of a call all game, the Redskins came right back on the attack.

Jake Ramsey ran down the left side and found his teammate George in front of goal, who tapped the ball in to tie the game with 32 minutes to play.

“Conner tells us to keep our heads up. He is a great captain, and we just keep fighting,” George said. “There is always a light at the end of the tunnel.”

The light looked a little dim to begin the game, though. Tri-Valley came out ready to play, scoring in the first three minutes and again six minutes after that.

Ten minutes in, the Redskins were trailing 2-0.

“Early on, when they got the first goal especially, it felt like they were passing around us and we didn’t have it figured out,” Conner Roahrig said. “It was frustrating. That’s something we will have to work on, is quicker starts and not giving up cheap easy goals like that.”

While frustrating, the Redskins had 70 minutes to work back into the game, and they did that later in the first half with a Roahrig free kick goal assisted by Ben Batchelor.

“I thought the last half of the first half was some of the best,” Dunlap said.

“Coach wanted us to keep the ball wide and have less touches in the middle,” George said. “He likes us to attack from the outside and swing balls in.”

The outside attack led to the handball no call and George’s goal, but couldn’t lead to any more.

The Redskins, who outshot Tri-Valley nine to six, dominated possession in the final 15 minutes as they searched for the game-winning goal.

The Scotties’ defense held form though and forced the Redskins to regroup every time they tried to make the final pass.

“They had a real good sweeper back there. He never stepped. You weren’t dribbling around him,” Roahrig said. “I don’t think we quite got all the balls in, and the balls we did get in seemed like we only had Ben or we only had Jake in there.”

But as time continued to tick down, Alex McPeak and Austin Wheeler — Redskin defenders — were set lose to roam how they wanted. They opened up the offense for Coshocton, but after a few good opportunities fell to the wayside, the buzzer sounded, ending the game in a tie.

“I’ve got two fullbacks that both want to score, and they are both good,” Dunlap said. “They sacrifice a little bit, but at that point in the game, I kind of turned them lose.”

Coshocton will travel to Marietta on Tuesday.

“We have to come out quicker. It seems like it takes a dumb goal for us to get mad, and I think it’s something we need to do against Marietta because they are going to come after us right from the get-go,” Roahrig said.


Twitter: @cj_teague


More USA TODAY High School Sports
Coshocton recovers from slow start in 2-2 tie
I found this story on USA TODAY High School Sports and wanted to share it with you: %link% For more high school stories, stats and videos, visit