ESSEX – Four second-half touchdowns allowed Essex to break free for a 34-6 victory over Brattleboro in Division I high school football action on Friday night.
Liam Coulter’s 2-yard TD run in the first quarter meant the Hornets (2-5) never trailed, but Tony Martinez found Taylor King for a 21-yard TD strike late in the first half to get Brattleboro (3-4) on the board. The blocked extra point made it a 7-6 game at the break.
After a Cheick Diakite (58 yards rushing) fumble at the goal line, Essex took the ball 80 yards for a score and never looked back as Eli DiGrande hooked up with Otis Crock for a 25-yard TD pass.
DiGrande (4-yard run), Elliot Boutin (3-yard run) and Jordan Hines (9-yard run) all scored in the fourth quarter as the Hornets tallied 27 unanswered points.
• Mount Mansfield 14, North Country 0: Asa Carlson hit Dom Mosca for a 20-yard touchdown pass, the only score visiting Mount Mansfield needed, as it shut out North Country for its first win of the season.
Jehric Hackney dashed in from 12 yards with 1:24 left in the contest to seal the Cougar (1-6) victory. Johnny Benvenuto finished with 23 carries for 117 yards to lead MMU and Hackney added 74 yards on 13 totes.
Mount Mansfield also recovered two fumbles and halted two North Country (0-7) drives in the red zone.
• Colchester 47, South Burlington 0: Matt Hesford rushed for three touchdowns, one an 80-yarder, as Colchester routed visiting South Burlington.
Kyle Walker got the Lakers (3-4) on the board with a 70-yard TD run on their third play from scrimmage. Alex O’Connell tossed a 2-yard TD pass to Charlie Powell to give the hosts a 33-0 edge at halftime.
Dakota Navari and Thomas Duggan added 1-yard scoring plunges after intermission.
The Rebels fall to 0-7.
• Rutland 35, BFA-St. Albans 34: A blocked extra point left the door open for host Rutland, which tied the game on a 1-yard TD run by Andy Kenosh and won it on Kenosh’s extra point with 2:10 to play.
Kenosh (two interceptions) ran for another score and hooked up with Kyle Cassarino for a 40-yard TD pass. Caleb White ran two scores (6 and 19 yards) for 6-1 Rutland, which led 21-14 at halftime.
Quarterback Mark Connor ran for a 5-yard TD and added a 27-yard TD pass to Connor Calloway. Zaiver Pigeon and Nate Parady added touchdown runs and Eddie Branon recovered a fumble that he ran back 34 yards for another score for the Bobwhites (3-4).
Pigeon led BFA with 115 yards on the ground, Parady added 105 and Tanner Cioffi another 91.
White ran for 104 yards and Kenosh 102 for Rutland.
• Hartford 43, St. Johnsbury 21: Behind at halftime, host Hartford rallied for 31 points in the second half to pull away from St. Johnsbury.
After a 45-yard scoring run by Hilltoppers (3-4) quarterback Collin Urie cut Hartford’s lead to 28-21, Tyler Hamilton took the ensuing kickoff 88 yards for a score to stretch his team’s lead for good.
Hunter Judd racked up 143 yards and a touchdown on seven carries to lead the Hurricanes’ (6-1) ground attack. Walkker Judd rushed the ball 10 times for 84 yards and a score and Brett MacLaren added 49 yards and a TD on 12 carries.
Urie finished with three rushing touchdowns to lead St. Johnsbury.
• Springfield 70, Winooski 54: Abdul Arbow ran for 263 yards and four touchdowns, Brandon Bigelow added 221 yards and three scores but Winooski lost in another shootout, falling to host Springfield.
Arbow had scoring runs of 67, 3 and 65 yards and also picked up an offensive fumble and ran it 40 yards for another score. Bigelow dashed from 75 and 50 yards and also had kickoff return for a score.
• Woodstock 38, Plattsburgh (N.Y.) 30: Ezra Astbury ran for two late scores and visiting Woodstock hung on for a win over Plattsburgh.
Daniel Robinson scored on a 24-yard TD run and a 70-yard interception return to give the Wasps (5-2) an early 16-0 lead. Bill Wood also scored on a 20-yard run for a 24-6 halftime advantage.
Brady Pennington scored on runs of 20, 2 and 12 yards for Plattsburgh.