National Signing Day is Wednesday and the Cincinnati area will have plenty of representation.
Class of 2016 student-athletes will sign National Letters of Intent for a variety of NCAA sports starting Wednesday, including basketball, wrestling, swimming and diving, lacrosse, volleyball, rowing, gymnastics, softball, golf, hockey, baseball and tennis.
The early signing period for those sports ends Nov. 18. The regular signing period for basketball is April 13 until May 18, 2016 for Division I athletes.
For Division II basketball and all other sports, the regular signing period goes until Aug. 1, 2016.
- National Signing Day for football, soccer and men’s water polo is Feb. 3.
Several notable area signings will occur Wednesday and Thursday this week:
- Wilmington senior guard Jarron Cumberland will sign to play basketball at UC in a ceremony scheduled for 2 p.m. Wednesday at the high school library, according to Wilmington coach Mike Noszka. Cumberland, the area’s top-rated player in the 2016 class, verbally committed to the Bearcats in July.
- St. Xavier senior Kirran Magowan will sign to play golf at UC in a ceremony at 11:20 a.m. Wednesday. Magowan helped the Bombers to the Division I state title this season. He was seventh individually in the state tournament.
- Lakota West guards Nia Staples (West Virginia) and Danielle Wells (Indiana University East) will sign in women’s basketball. Both players were instrumental in the Firebirds’ Division I state girls’ basketball title in March and will be key players for this season’s team.
- Moeller will have eight student-athletes signing at 3 p.m. Wednesday, including four members of the reigning Division I state champion baseball team. Pitchers Nick Bennett (Louisville), Cameron Junker (Notre Dame) and Nick Byrnes (Ohio University) will sign along with shortstop/third baseman Alec Graves (Walsh University). Senior guard Nate Georgeton (Northwood/basketball) along with golfer Jake Fox (UC), who was second at state this season, along with swimmers Cooper Hodge (Wisconsin) and Jacob Peloquin (Miami University) will sign.
- Cincinnati Public Schools will recognize eight student-athletes on Thursday including three high schools. Those signings include two basketball players – Walnut Hills forward Arielle Gonzalez-Varner (Austin Peay), Aiken point guard Carlik Jones (Radford). Hughes track standout Tiona Lattimore will sign with UC after she verbally committed last week. She was the Division II state runner-up in the 400-meter dash last season after she was the regional and district champion.