BENNINGTON – Ajla Medic put up 18 points and 10th-seeded Burlington built an 11-point lead after three quarters en route to a 55-41 upset of No. 7 Mount Anthony in the Division I girls basketball playdowns on Wednesday.
Pascale Gulick added 11 points and seven rebounds for the Seahorses (10-11) who got super post defense from Riley Janeway (nine rebounds, five blocks) and Norah Senftleber (eight rebounds, three blocks).
Madison Little and Morgan Hewitt led the Patriots (14-7) with nine points apiece.
• (1) Champlain Valley 49, (16) Spaulding 17: Two-time defending champion Champlain Valley held visiting Spaulding to just four first-half points and led 40-8 after three quarters en route to booking a spot in the quarterfinals.
Laurel Jaunich had 12 points and seven rebounds to lead the Redhawks (21-0). Caitlin Grasso chipped in nine points and five rebounds while Marlee Gunn added seven points.
• (5) Rice 65, (12) Colchester 26: Jordan Lawrence and Lexy Avonda tallied 10 points apiece and Rice cruised past Colchester.
Michelle Bolger had eight points and three steals and Carolyn Snell added six points, seven rebounds and four steals for the Green Knights, who led 27-7 at the break.
Colchester’s Alex Richard had 10 points.
• (3) Mill River 58, (14) Middlebury 38: Ella Bankert poured in 20 points and Mill River led 17-2 after the first quarter en route to rolling past Middlebury.
Haley Hull added 13 points for Mill River.
Freshman Keagan Dunbar put in 14 points for Middlebury.
• (5) Lamoille 54, (12) Vergennes 36: Katelin Collins’ 14 points led three scorers in double figures for Lamoille as the Lancers toppled visiting Vergennes.
Jasmine Daigle-Arnold tossed in 12 points and Emily Peck had 10 for Lamoille (12-7), which led 30-20 at halftime.
Nikki Salley (12 points) and Sarah Poirier-Thayer (11) led the Commodores.
• (9) Windsor 61, (8) Winooski 50: Maddy Morris led the way with 18 points and Ashley Wilcox had 16 as visiting Windsor ousted Winooski.
The Yellow Jackets rallied from 35-26 halftime deficit, taking control with a 21-8 third-quarter run.
Amanda Nattress finished with a game-high 20 points for Winooski (11-10) and Nikki Dang added 14.
Winooski head coach Tom Prim talks to his players during a time out in the girls basketball game between the Windsor Yellowjackets and the Winooski Spartans at Winooski High School on Wednesday night.
• (10) Oxbow 41, (7) Stowe 39: Alexandra Giesing totaled 11 points, including 5 of 6 from the line, as Oxbow outlasted Stowe.
Dahlia Klarich put in nine points for Oxbow, which made 11 of 16 fourth-quarter foul shots.
Ashley Raymond pumped in 21 points and Bailey Sherwin contributed eight points and 12 rebounds for Stowe.
• (3) Proctor 49, (14) Danville 23: Abby McKearin finished with a game-high 14 points and host Proctor bounced Danville.
Mackenzie Hickey added nine for the Phantoms (15-5), who led 38-13 at halftime.
Britani Buck paced the Indians with 12 points.
• (4) West Rutland 67, (13) South Royalton 36: Holding South Royalton to just two points in the second quarter, rolling to a 34-12 lead at intermission, host West Rutland cruised into the quarterfinals.
Savannah Petty led the Golden Horde (14-7) with 15 points, Brooke Raiche had 12 and Julia May added 10.
Rachel Moore had a game-high 16 points for the Royals.
• (2) Whitcomb-Rochester 69, (15) Black River 32: Storming to a 27-3 lead after one quarter, host Whitcomb-Rochester routed Black River at Woodstock.
Lindsey Laperle led the way for Whitchester (18-3) with 23 points and Phoebe Parrish tossed in 22.
Kateri Collins had 19 points, including 4 3-pointers, for the Presidents.