As the season reaches the halfway point or close to it around the nation, USA TODAY High School Sports is assembling our midseason report with installments throughout the week.
This installment looks at the teams that have played the toughest schedules thus far, according to the Super 25 computer run by Ken Massey.
Three teams from New Jersey are among the top five in the nation, led by Don Bosco Prep of Ramsey.
Bosco’s first three opponents are in the top 20 nationally in terms of schedule strength, including two in the top five (No. 3 Archbishop Moeller and No. 4 St. Joseph’s Regional). The Ironmen’s other game was against Archbishop Rummel (Metairie, La.), which was in the Super 25 Expert rankings at the time of the game.
St. Joseph’s Regional and No. 5 Bergen Catholic (Oradell) are the other New Jersey teams in the top 20.
While Servite (Anaheim, Calif.) is 2-3, the school is No. 2 in the nation in strength of schedule, thanks to games against Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas), De La Salle (Concord, Calif.) and Bishop Amat (La Puente, Calif.). De La Salle is No. 7 in the schedule rankings, Gorman is No. 8 and Bishop Amat is No. 24.
No. 3 Moeller leads four Cincinnati schools in the top 15 in schedule strength. Colerain is No. 9, St. Xavier is No. 10 and Elder is No. 14. St. Edward (Lakewood, Ohio) is No. 6, meaning Ohio schools make up 25% of the top 20.
Moeller is 2-4 and has played Don Bosco Prep and St. Xavier. The Crusaders face Elder this weekend.
Here are the top 20 schools based on strength of schedule so far:
- Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.)
- Servite (Anaheim, Calif.)
- Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati)
- St. Joseph’s Regional (Montvale, N.J.)
- Bergen Catholic (Oradell, N.J.)
- St. Edward (Lakewood, Ohio)
- Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas)
- De La Salle (Concord, Calif.)
- Colerain (Cincinnati)
- St. Xavier (Cincinnati)
- Orange Lutheran (Orange, Calif.)
- IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)
- Chandler (Ariz.)
- Elder (Cincinnati)
- Granite Bay (Calif.)
- Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.)
- DeMatha Catholic (Hyattsville, Md.)
- Southlake Carroll (Southlake, Texas)
- St. Joseph’s Prep (Philadelphia)
- La Salle College Prep (Wyndmoor, Pa.)
- Gilman (Baltimore)
- St. Peter’s Prep (Jersey City)
- Pinnacle (Phoenix)
- Bishop Amat (La Puente, Calif.)
- Centennial (Peoria, Ariz.)