With some of the Central Louisiana teams falling last week, Peabody and Natchitoches Central were able to break away from the pack in this week’s Top 10.
However, with the Pineville/Tioga tournament beginning Wednesday featuring many of the teams on this list, there should be a good week of basketball on tap.
So without further ado….
1. Peabody (7-0, LW: 1): The Warhorses stay at No. 1, after impressive victories against Pineville, John Ehret and Edna Karr this week to stay perfect. Junior forward Kevin Norman posted double-doubles in each game, averaging 16.7 points and 13.7 rebounds. THIS WEEK: Northside Tournament (Dec. 10-12).
2. Natchitoches Central (4-1, LW: 2): Keeping pace with Peabody, the Chiefs defeated Leesville on the road and Red River in The Tepee thanks to senior Austin Guy and junior Brandon Rachal. Guy followed up a 10-point, 10-rebound performance at Leesville with 19 points and 15 rebounds against Red River, while Rachal scored at least 20 points in both games. NCHS has a rematch against Leesville at the Pineville/Tioga Tournament. THIS WEEK: Pineville/Tioga Tournament (Dec. 9-12).
3. Tioga (5-3, LW: 3): The Indians started the week with wins against Avoyelles and Port Barre, but close 59-56 losses in the Teurlings Catholic Tournament to St. Louis and Breaux Bridge dropped them to 2-2 on the week and 5-3 overall. Tioga hosts its first home game against Georgetown to open the Pineville/Tioga Tournament. THIS WEEK: Pineville/Tioga Tournament (Dec. 9-12).
4. Northwood (5-1, LW: 5): The Gators got a 63-55 overtime win against Stanley to improve to 5-1 and to move up a spot on this list. Northwood takes on another small school in Hicks this week, before going against Teurlings Catholic, Pineville and Leesville, the latter which it lost to 68-64 Nov. 21. THIS WEEK: at Hicks (Tues.), Pineville/Tioga Tournament (Dec. 9-12).
5. Rapides (4-2, LW: 6): The Mustangs handled business in the Glenmora tournament after defeating Atlanta by 15 and Glenmora by 31 and now have a four-game winning streak heading into the tournament in Tioga this week. Rapides tallied 50 rebounds against Atlanta Wednesday, as senior forward Johnathan Green posted 24 points and 21 rebounds. THIS WEEK: vs Marksville (Tues.), Pineville/Tioga Tournament (Dec. 9-12).
6. Leesville (4-3, LW: 4): It was a tough week for the Wampus Cats as they fell to NCHS and Mansfield to drop to 4-3. However, this week Leesville will try to snap a three-game losing streak at the Pineville/Tioga Tournament when it takes on Winnfield, Bossier and Northwood. THIS WEEK: vs Lakeview (Tues), Pineville/Tioga Tournament (Dec. 9-12).
7. Lakeview (4-5, LW: 7): The Gators started the week with a gritty 37-32 victory over Evangel in The Swamp Tuesday, but went winless in the Hamilton Christian Tournament despite two one-point defeats and senior Adrio Bailey pushing his double-double streak to seven games. Lakeview remains on the road this week with games at Leesville and Ville Platte. THIS WEEK: at Leesville (Tues.), at Ville Platte (Fri.).
8. ASH (2-4, LW: 8): The Trojans took on in-state competition for the first time this season last week, but dropped close matches to Breaux Bridge and Eunice at the Teurlings Catholic tournament. However, ASH defeated Avoyelles Charter 59-42 at home and will stay in the Central Louisiana area for a pair of games this week. THIS WEEK: at Jena (Tues.), vs. Carencro (Fri.).
9. Pineville (3-2, LW: 9): In defeat, the Rebels showed good signs in their matchup against Peabody despite a late fourth quarter surge by the home team. Nevertheless, Pineville looks vastly improved from past season and it could challenge for a postseason spot. THIS WEEK: at Winnfield (Tues), Pineville/Tioga tournament (Dec. 9-12)
10. Avoyelles (5-3, LW: 10): Like Pineville, Avoyelles gave Tioga all it could handle before bowing out late for a 50-40 defeat. The Mustangs can pick up a trio of wins in the Pineville/Tioga Tournament this week. THIS WEEK: Pineville/Tioga Tournament (Dec. 9-12).
Gafford’s 11th: Winnfield (3-0, LW: NR): The Tigers defeated Jonesboro-Hodge and Caldwell Parish last week to stay perfect and to make an appearance on this list. It will be a big week for Winnfield as it will take on Pineville, Rapides and Leesville in consecutive days in hopes that it can stay on the list. THIS WEEK: vs. Pineville (Tues), Pineville/Tioga tournament (Dec. 9-12).