ESSEX – Kathleen Young scored midway through the third period and Essex held off Northfield 1-0 in a battle of Division I girls hockey powers Monday.
Essex’s Victoria Gibson stopped 17 shots, including Kristen Dukette’s breakaway chance in the third period when it was still scoreless. The Hornets improve to 7-3.
Analiese Morvan made 20 saves for Northfield (10-2).
Essex’s Amanda Sinkewicz (4) skates wit the puck past Northfield’s Lindsey Bergeron (10) during the girls hockey game between Northfield and Essex on Monday night.
• Middlebury 1, North Country 0: Emma Best fired in the game’s lone goal at 10:48 of the third period, and host Middlebury dropped North Country.
Rowan Hendy had a four-save shutout for the Tigers (9-2).
Mikaella Doran corralled 41 saves for the Falcons (7-3-1).
• Stowe 8, Burlington 1: Chad Haggerty fired in three goals and host Stowe skated past Burlington.
Sam Lively tallied Stowe’s first two goals while Adam Badger, Gabe Eliason and Jacob Walker also struck for the Raiders (4-6), who led 8-1 after two periods.
Bannon Wright had 22 saves for Stowe and Burlington’s Paul Truman stopped 25 shots.
• South Royalton 57, Winooski 56: William Wutlke led three players in double figures with 15 points as South Royalton knocked off Winooski.
Keenan Thompson scored 14 points and Nicholas Howe added 13 for South Royalton, which built a 10-point lead deep into the third quarter before holding off Winooski’s comeback bid.
Eddie Lamson (16 points), Jibril Abdullahi (12) and Sean Callahan (10) led Winooski (7-2).
• Milton 49, Stowe 32: Ryan Brown netted 11 points in Milton’s win at Stowe.
Kyle Apgar and Chris Ryea added eight points for Milton.
Stowe’s Connor Dunkling recorded a game-high 19 points.
• Oxbow 55, Springfield 27: Mick Johnson’s 14 points powered host Oxbow past Springfield.
• Concord 48, Cabot 43: Jordan Gochio and Mark Austin each scored 13 points in Concord’s win at Cabot.
Tiger Bertress led Cabot with 14 points.
• Milton 47, Middlebury 25: Selena Patterson put in 16 points and Kaitlin Reilly chipped in eight assists for host Milton.
Kaitlyn Brouard registered nine points for 4-6 Milton.
Middlebury’s Keagan Dunbar had 13 points.
• Lake Region 48, Enosburg 46: Visiting Lake Region overcame a seven-point fourth-quarter deficit to rally past Enosburg.
Megan Menard and Katie Menard led the way for Lake Region (8-2) with 10 points each.
Emilee Bose poured in 23 points for Enosburg (5-20). Brooke St. Onge tossed in 10.
• Oxbow 39, Rivendell 35: Sara Walker tossed in a dozen points and Amanda Wheeler added 10 in Oxbow’s home win over Rivendell.
Tayo Ameden led Rivendell with 13 points.
• Northfield 37, South Royalton 22: Rhiannon Page led all scorers with 15 points as Northfield improved its record to 3-6 at South Royalton’s expense.