SOUTH BURLINGTON – Sean Remillard hit a two-run triple to break a tie in the sixth inning and Rice edged Essex 6-3 in a high school baseball showdown Friday.
William Hesslink gave up one earned run on three hits and fanned 10 in the complete-game win. Dylan Beyor and John Boardman each had two hits and Henry Conroy tripled for Rice (3-0).
For Essex, Eli Baez went 2-for-3 and Noah Baez suffered the loss, allowing five earned runs and nine hits in 5 2/3 innings.
• Spaulding 11, BFA-St. Albans 6: Bobby Austin wrapped three hits and scored two runs and Brandon Bedard doubled and drove in a pair of runs as visiting Spaulding dropped BFA-St. Albans.
Kaden McSheffrey allowed six hits and all six runs in six innings for the win. Cameron Flinn added two hits and two runs for the Crimson Tide (1-1).
Tyler Tatro had three hits and Riley Mangan’s two hits included a double for 0-1 BFA. Matt Sanders took the loss.
• Essex 10, Rice 6: Victoria Bean went 3-for-5 with a pair of doubles and two RBIs and Essex pulled away from host Rice.
Shannon Day (double, RBI) and Allie Rutz (double, RBI) also went 3-for-5 for Essex (4-0), which picked up 18 hits. Winning pitcher Makenna Thorne struck out 11 for the Hornets.
Nikki Talcott reached based three times on two hits and a walk and scored three runs for Rice. Rachel Chicoine was 2 for 4.
H.S. boys lacrosse
• Vergennes 10, Lamoille 3: Tyler Crowningshield picked up four goals and an assist, Erik Eisenhower added three goals and an helper and host Vergennes defeated Lamoille.
Tyle Kepes recorded two goals and three assists and Broc Clark made 11 saves for the Commodores (3-0).
Eric Coslette, Billy Hogan and Tony Phillips had Lamoille’s goals. Dakota Jones turned back 10 shots.
H.S. girls lacrosse
• Green Mountain Valley 12, Colchester 6: Maddie Davis supplied a hat trick and three teammates each had two goals as Green Mountain Valley doubled up visiting Colchester.
Katie Queally, Katie Campbell and Nicole Leibundgut each scored twice for the Gumbies (1-0). Tarrah Price and Sophia Maynard also tallied.
Kesi Wallace (three goals), Kelsey Cauchon (two goals) and Ali Davis (goal) scored for Colchester.
• Assumption 13, St. Michael’s 6: Danielle Barbato and Christina Brazeau each smacked their first career collegiate home runs but host St. Michael’s fell to Assumption in the opener of a three-game weekend series.
Judi Barcavage had two hits and two RBIs and Danielle Brown struck out six in the loss for SMC (2-27, 2-17).
Jess DiPilato went 3-for-4 with three runs, four RBIs. two doubles and one of Assumption’s three home runs.