EAST MONTPELIER – Playing in another playoff game that went beyond regulation, U-32 advanced to the Division II high school girls soccer final after Maya Mashkui struck 50 seconds into the second overtime for a 2-1 win over Mount Abraham on Wednesday.
Aine Kennedy, 4:31 into the game, gave U-32 an early lead before Ernesta McIntosh’s goal midway through the first half knotted the score for Mount Abraham.
Natalie Lavigne was solid in net with 11 saves for U-32 (15-2), which needed a penalty shootout to survive the quarterfinals.
Camille Snell also stopped 11 shots for reigning champion Mount Abraham (11-7), which had its eight-game winning streak snapped.
The Raiders will play in the title game for the first time in 22 years.
D-III GIRLS SOCCER
• (2) Stowe 2, (3) Peoples 1: A pair of Stowe first-half goals were enough to end Peoples’ four-year reign.
Emma Buonanno assisted Lauren Glanz’s opening goal and also scored later in the half for the host Raiders. Darien Boergerwas credited with two assists.
The four-time defending champion Wolves (11-5-1) got one back eight minutes into the second half, Elise Zilius tallying.
Stowe’s Ruffle and Peoples’ Beronica Tatro each made six saves.
• (4) Oxbow 1, (1) BFA-Fairfax 0 (OT): Bekah Hanzas headed a ball to Corina Oakley, who finished with 6:55 left in the first overtime to send visiting Oxbow past BFA-Fairfax.
Oxbow (13-3-1) keeper Jessica Daigle made four stops. Brianna Mossey totaled five saves for the Bullets (12-3-2)
D-IV GIRLS SOCCER
• (1) Proctor 2, (4) Mount St. Joseph 0: Abby McKearin, the state’s all-time leading goal scorer, struck twice to power host Proctor past rival Mount St. Joseph.
• (3) West Rutland 3, (2) Sharon 2: After host Sharon tied it late in regulation, Shelby Grabowski struck for her second goal in the overtime period to push West Rutland into the finals.
Kelsey Whedin also scored for West Rutland (15-2).
For Sharon (13-2-1), Eleanor Frost had the opening goal and Jordan Stevens earned the equalizer, redirecting a free kick into the net.
D-III FIELD HOCKEY
• (1) Bellows Falls 4, (4) Missisquoi 0: Freshman Molly Kelly knocked in half of her team’s goals and host Bellows Falls blanked Missisquoi.
Abbie Cravinho, and Leah Robinson also tallied for the Terriers.
Brigid Hodsden was in goal for No. 1 Bellows Falls and Mikayla Hul was in the net for No. 4 Missisquoi.
• (2) Stowe 2, (3) Lyndon 0: Callie Walker and Sarah Velk scored twice in the span of 10 minutes in the second half as host Stowe toppled Lyndon.
Maya Barrett earned the assists on Stowe’s goals while Carmen DeRienzo picked up two saves.
Lyndon’s Brianna Trottier made six stops.