TexasHSFootball.com is a partner of USA TODAY High School Sports.
Jimmy Isbell of TexasHSFootball.com previews this weekend’s matchup between Super 25 No. 1 De La Salle (Concord, Calif.) and Trinity (Euless, Tex.). The nation’s top team travels to Texas to play Trinity for the first time at Mansfield’s Vernon Newsom Stadium (following the Desoto-Martin game) on Saturday, August 29, at 9 p.m. ET.
Facts of the Game
- From 1992-2003, De La Salle held the longest winning streak of 151 games under legendary head coach Bob Ladouceur. Ladouceur retired from coaching January 4, 2013 with a 399-25-3 record.
- Last season, the Spartans won their 23rd California Interscholastic Federation Bowl Game Championships, with a 14-0 record.
- Trinity lost in the Class 6A Division I regional final to the eventual state champion, Allen.
- De La Salle returns 12 starters from last season’s squad, three of which are defensive linemen. Trinity returns five starters.
De La Salle Players to Watch
- Andrew Hernandez, RB, Junior — 1,840 rush yards, 30 TDs.
- Antoine Custer, RB, Senior — 1,860 rush yards, 24 TDs.
- Boss Tagalon, DT, Junior — 6’3, 295 lbs., holds 14 FBS offers and is the No. 11 ranked DT in California
- Devin Asiasi, TE, Junior — 6’5, 255 lbs.
- Anthony Sweeney, QB, Junior.
- Jonathan Harvey, WR, Junior.
Trinity Players to Watch
- Chris Daniels, DE, Senior — 6’4, 290 lbs.
- Elise (EJ) Gisa, DL, Senior — 6’2, 287 lbs.
- Justus Gregg, OLB, Senior — 5’9 185, 118 tackles last season.
- Tyler Natee, QB, Senior — 930 pass yards, 1,400 rush yards, 19 total TDs.
- Ja’Ron Wilson, RB, Senior — 1,792 rush yards, 22 TDs.
- Dejuan Garrett, RB, Senior — injured last season, looking to have a breakout year.
Trinity 35, De La Salle 28