Here’s a look at the updated Fab 15, a weekly ranking of the top high school basketball teams in the area:
1. Southport (10-0) – The Cardinals stayed unbeaten with a 72-56 win over Franklin Central on Friday. Now it’s on to the Marion County tournament, where Southport plays at Decatur Central in the first round on Tuesday. A possible showdown with Class 2A top-ranked Park Tudor awaits in the quarterfinals on Wednesday.
2. Carmel (9-1) – The Greyhounds handled Westfield 57-39 on Saturday for their sixth consecutive win since the loss to North Central. Carmel is back home this week against Cathedral (Wednesday) and Kokomo (Saturday).
3. North Central (9-1) – DeShon Tate’s corner 3-pointer ended North Central’s nine-game winning streak on Friday, as Ben Davis won 51-50. The Panthers are at Lawrence North on Tuesday in the first round of the Marion County tournament, probably the top game of the first round.
4. Park Tudor (9-0) – The Panthers posted wins over Noblesville (62-51) and Heritage Christian (55-46) and now moves into the Marion County tournament to face Beech Grove, a team it beat 81-48 in December. The quarterfinal opponent would likely be Southport.
5. Pike (6-2) – Pike has won four in a row now after a 67-52 win over Cathedral on Friday. Pike opens at Franklin Central in the Marion County tournament, then would meet either Roncalli or Lawrence Central in the quarterfinal.
6. Brownsburg (11-3) – Brownsburg had little trouble winning the Hendricks County tournament, defeating Danville 51-37 in the championship game on Saturday. The Bulldogs host a dangerous Fishers team on Friday.
7. Lawrence North (9-1) – Another good week for the Wildcats with wins over Tech (98-86) and Warren Central (68-60). The schedule gets really tough now, beginning with North Central on Tuesday in the first round of the Marion County tournament.
8. Ben Davis (7-3) – Ben Davis handed North Central its first loss, 51-50, on Friday. The Giants are a scary team because they play inside-out, which is unusual anymore. Ben Davis hosts Lutheran in the first round of the Marion County tournament on Tuesday and then would face either Brebeuf or Speedway.
9. Crispus Attucks (8-2) – Attucks has only played one game since Dec. 23, a 73-46 win over Greenwood Christian on Friday. Leading scorer and rebounder Darrell Hutchison had screws put in his injured foot and should return to action within the next two weeks. He’ll miss Friday’s showdown at Class 2A second-ranked Northeastern (9-0).
10. Scecina (9-3) – The Crusaders are seeded No. 1 for next week’s City tournament, after playing 2-8 Monrovia on Tuesday. Scecina knocked off a good Pulaski Southeastern (Ky.) team on Saturday in the Kentucky-Indiana Challenge at New Castle.
11. Tech (8-5) – The Titans dropped games to Lawrence North (98-86) and Chicago St. Rita (77-51) last week. Another tough game is coming Friday against Guerin Catholic.
12. Howe (8-2) – The Hornets haven’t played since Dec. 31 but get back to action Monday vs. Herron and Saturday vs. Mt. Vernon. Howe is seeded second in the City tournament next week and has a bye into the quarterfinal.
13. Roncalli (7-2) – The Rebels got past Beech Grove 58-48 on Friday and will have a major test on Tuesday against Lawrence Central in the first round of the Marion County tourney.
14. Pendleton Heights (9-3) – Pendleton Heights fell 56-49 to Liberty Christian in the championship of the Madison County tournament. The Arabians return to action this weekend against New Palestine (Friday) and Shelbyville (Saturday).
15. Noblesville (9-3) – The Millers responded from a 62-51 loss to Park Tudor with a 50-45 win over Muncie Central on Saturday. Junior Jon Kiser is averaging 14.2 points and 6.5 rebounds.
Dropped out: Mooresville (8)