March 6: Midlothian names Doug Wendel to replace Lee Wiginton (Midlothian Heritage). Wendel comes from Ardmore Okla., but is familiar to North Texas with four years as Eustace head coach and coaching stints in Plano, Carrollton and Richardson.
March 3: Consensus building behind assistant Jason Todd at South Oak Cliff. He arrived from Skyline to start last season, re-joining Emmett Jones who left to take a position at Texas Tech. Todd has been recommended and awaiting formal approval.
After visiting the campus Monday, Little Elm coach Kendrick Brown withdrew from consideration.
March 2: South Oak Cliff likely close to naming successor to Emmett Jones, who left last month to join Texas Tech staff.
One of the leading candidates, Kendrick Brown reportedly at South Oak Cliff today. Brown took over at Little Elm last season but was defensive coordinator at DeSoto for three years and prior to that he was defensive coordinator at Arlington Seguin and part of a successful staff at Hebron. More than a month into search, more interviews still.
UPDATED March 3: Brown tells theoldcoach.com he is staying at Little Elm.
HURST L.D. BELL: Mike Glaze is leading candidate to be named head coach at Bell. Glaze has been offensive coordinator at Cedar Hill, which has back-to-back state titles and three consecutive state final appearances. At Cedar Hill since 2008, Glaze was known development of dual-threat quarterbacks. Former Bell coach Mark Smith joined the staff of Chad Morris at SMU.
Feb. 25: Trinity Christian Academy in Addison has hired Mark Howard of Frisco Centennial according to Frisco ISD athletic director David Kuykendall. Howard has been at Centennial since the school opened in 2003 and has been a model of success in a school district which has undergone a population explosion with a seventh high school set to open in just more than 10 years.
Howard is a 35-year coaching veteran well-known for setting a Christian foundation in his programs dating back to West Texas years in McCamey, Clarendon and Brownfield before arriving at Centennial. An Oklahoma State grad, Howard takes over for longtime TCA coach Steve Hayes, who left for Enid, Okla. in December.
Under Howard, Centennial earned its first-ever UIL postseason playoff berth in 2008 and advanced three rounds in 2011 and four rounds into the state playoffs in 2012. Centennial reached the playoffs last season before being eliminated in the first round. Centennial had a 33-6 record from from 2011-2013.
More than a dozen former players have succeeded in college including quarterback Lamar Jordan at New Mexico, cornerback Ranthony Texada at TCU, defensive end K.J. Smith helping Baylor compete for a Big 12 title and defensive tackle Chase Appleby starting for Wyoming in addition to former quarterback Ryan Mossakowski who signed with Kentucky. Howard is popular in the Frisco ISD, His son Zach Howard is a Centennial assistant.
At TCA the past 11 years, Hayes compiled an 88-49 record while making the TAPPS state playoffs each year. TCA regularly produces players receiving major college scholarships and made four state finals appearances and seven semifinal appearances.
Located just south of Centennial on the North Dallas Tollway, TCA has been one of the most prominent TAPPS schools during a high growth of private schools in North Texas. TCA has 485 students in grades ninth through 12 and competes in the highest TAPPS class with a district including perennial state powers Fort Worth Nolan, Prestonwood Christian, Argyle Christian, Bishop Lynch and the recent 2014 champ Bishop Dunne.
Known for prolific offenses, TCA played for its last TAPPS title in a 48-45 loss to Nolan in the 2012 state final.
North Texas Coaching Changes
- Birdville OC since 2000 Lon Holbrook (UNT grad) replaces Jim Skinner
- Plano West .. Scott Smith replaces Mike Hughes retires
- South Oak Cliff Texas Tech hires Emmett Jones Jason Todd recommended
- Justin Eaton opens for UIL play in 2016 with Brad Turner
- Midlothian Heritage Lee Wiginton moves over after 5 yrs at Midlothian
- Midlothian .. Doug Wendel returns NT after 4 years Ardmore, Okla.
- Hurst L.D. Bell .. Mark Smith leaves for SMU
- Frisco Reedy .. FISD No. 8 goes to Chad Cole (Wakeland DC)
- Skyline .. New DISD AD Gil Garza hires former BA coach Derick Roberson
- DeSoto.. Named OC Todd Peterman to replace Claude Mathis to SMU
- Euless Trinity … Lineweaver retires, OC Chris Jensen elevated
- Trinity Christian Addison … Steve Hayes to Enid (OK) Mark Howard arrives
- Arlington Lamar .. Arlington HS grad (1990) Laban DeLay takes over
- Duncanville .. Reggie Samples from Skyline named
- Mabank .. Open Alan Haire leaves after 2 months as Stephenville AD
- Prosper … Names Chris Ross of Leander ISD
- Waxahachie … National attention for Jon Kitna hire
- Fort Worth Southwest Christian.. Former QB Richard Bartel hired
- Spring Westfield … Matt Meekins succeeds brother Corby Meekins to UH
- Bonham Hired former Duncanville assistant Tony Johnson
- Stephenville .. Elevates Offensive coordinator Greg Winder to head coach