What a difference a week makes.
The Estero girls 4X800-meter relay team of Megan Giovanniello, Daley Cline, Megan Slater and Bree Salcedo shaved six seconds off its FSU Relays time in finishing third Saturday at the Florida Relays in Gainesville.
The Wildcats’ nation’s-best time of 9:24.95 ran in Tallahassee stood for all of a week as it was shattered in the nation’s fastest race this season. Miami Northwestern won the UF Relays race (9:12.90) to set the new mark while Winter Park (9:15.33) took second. Estero finished in 9:18.27.
Region 2A-12 semifinal
The Bishop Verot girls tennis team began their quest to return to the state tournament for the first time in four years with a resounding 5-0 victory over Hardee in the Region 2A-12 semifinal.
Gianna Drayer and Nicolette Cervone both had convincing victories in the No. 1 and No. 2 matches, respectively, but it was freshman Gabrielle Magnant who led the way for the Vikings (9-4). Magnant defeated Selena Macias of Hardee 6-0, 6-0 in the No. 5 spot and finished with the quickest victory of all Bishop Verot players.
“She had a lot of nerves going through her today, but she went out there and took care of business. She’s very mature for her age,” Vikings coach Mary Gibson said.
Bishop Verot will next face Lemon Bay on Thursday for the Region 2A-12 final.
“They’ve been out nemesis the last couple of years, but I feel very confident,” Gibson added.
“Our girls are hungry for a big win and to get back to the state tournament.”
• Bishop Verot 5, Hardee 0: Singles: 1. Gianna Drayer (BV) d. Madison Burnett 6-0, 6-1; 2. Nicolette Cervone (BV) d. Abby Clark 6-1, 6-0; 3. Madison Pergakis (BV) d. Ellie Clark 6-4, 5-7, 6-4; 4. Yvonne Wojtas (BV) d. Cheyenne Pohl 7-6, 6-1, 6-0; 5. Gabrielle Magnant (BV) d Selena Macias 6-0, 6-0.
Region 2A-12 semifinal
The Bishop Verot boys came out on fire in their Region 2A-12 semifinal match. And, like the girls, they defeated their opponent, Cape Coral, by a score of 5-0.
“This was a nice confidence-builder for our team,” Coach Mark Latell said.
“We went in looking strong and came out with a lot of confidence for Thursday. They are coming together and looking good at the right time.”
The Vikings (11-5) will travel to Sebring on Thursday for the Region 2A-12 final.
• Bishop Verot 5, Cape Coral 0: Singles: 1. Eric Poland (BV) d. Rey Greenlaw 6-0, 7-6; 2. Matthew Palmon (BV) d. Corey Williamson 6-1, 6-1; 3. Michael Lee (BV) d. Max Slafer 6-0, 6-2; 4. Justin Ecelbarger (BV) d. Triston D’Agostino 6-1, 6-0; 5. Chris Lee (BV) d. James Tramell 6-1, 6-0.
Boys lacrosse District 24 tournament
• Bishop Verot 9, Estero 7: Zach Liberto and Joe Cerniglia led the way for the Vikings (14-4) with three goals apiece. Goalie Teddy Leddy stood out with 16 saves. Bishop Verot will host Fort Myers for the District 24 final Thursday night.
• Oasis 9, ECS 7: A.J. Hickel went 2-for-3 with four RBI to lead the Sharks to their ninth win, the most in school history. Gianni Diforca also went 2-for-3 and notched two RBI.
• SFCA 11, Seacrest 4: Anne Gerwitz and Abbey Thomas led the way for the Kings by recording two hits and a triple. Gerwitz also notched two RBI.
• North Fort Myers 11, Cape Coral 3: Katelyn Kelly had three hits, two runs, two RBI and four stolen bases to lead the Red Knights (16-4). Natavia Ellis had a two-run home run.
• Ida Baker 4, North Fort Myers 1: Chris Schrowe picked up the win after only allowing one run in five innings pitched for the Bulldogs (16-4), striking out four.
• ECS 10, Oasis 0 (5 innings): Mike Marcelak notched two hits and three runs scored to lead the Sentinels (13-8). Ben Specht struck out nine in five innings pitched.
Estero 5, Cypress Lake 3: Pitcher Josh Winkowski led the Wildcats by picking up the win.