Pitcher/outfielder helped Ashland Blazer finish third in state tournament
Megan Hensley, who helped lead Ashland Blazer High School to a third-place finish in last weekend’s state tournament, has been named Kentucky’s Miss Softball by the Kentucky Softball Coaches Association.
Hensley, a senior pitcher/outfielder who has signed with the University of Louisville, was outstanding in the circle and at the plate as the Kittens reached the state tournament for the seventh straight season and finished with a 32-9 record.
Hensley posted a 25-8 record and a 0.78 ERA while striking out 371 batters in 233 1/3 innings. She also batted .429 with 18 home runs and 48 RBIs and scored 49 runs.
Hensley recently was named the Gatorade Kentucky Player of the Year for the second straight year.
The KSCA also released its All-State teams. While softball is a one-class sport for the Kentucky High School Athletic Association postseason, the KSCA recognizes three classes of All-State teams.
Players of the Year for each class were Ballard’s Lex Hull (3-A), East Jessamine’s Sarah Rainwater (2-A) and Owensboro Catholic’s Lillie Goetz (A).
Coaching Staffs of the Year for each class were Madisonville-North Hopkins (3-A), East Jessamine and Union County (2-A) and Louisville Holy Cross (A).
Here are the All-State teams for each class:
* First team – Audrey Dodd (McCracken County); Bailey Curry (Anderson County); Heather Webb, Kaylee Tow, Mallory Peyton (Madisonville-North Hopkins); Hunter Scott, Megan Arrasmith (Montgomery County); Kelsey McGuffin (Central Hardin); Lex Hull (Ballard); Rachel Ayer (Meade County).
* Second team – Bailey Vick, Hannah Ridolfi, Kelsee Henson (McCracken County); Brittany Vandeventer (South Laurel); Caitlin Ferguson (Woodford County); Haylee Smith (Notre Dame); Jenna Edwards (Clark County); Jordan Vorbrink (Mercy); Lauren Johnson (Daviess County); Leigh Ellen Thomas (Mercy); Olivia Suski (Male); Sydney Vaughn (Madison Central).
* Honorable mention – Amanda McIver (Male); Amber Foukes (Eastern); Bethany Todd (Woodford County); Elizabeth Sims (Conner); Jordan Ison, Sam Luckett (Scott County); Maddy Tabor (Meade County); McKenzie Johnson (Muhlenberg County); Mia Aldridge (Anderson County); Shelby Shanks (Paul Dunbar).
* First team – Allison Schubert, Sarah Rainwater (East Jessamine); Kandice Green (Bourbon County); Kendall Smith (Warren East); Lora Thompson (Boyd County); Megan Hensley (Ashland Blazer); Montana Fouts (East Carter); Randi Dae Conway (Union County); Shelby Graybill (Highlands); Taylor Roby (Bullitt East).
* Second team – Evyn Hendrickson, Jaci Babbs (Union County); Hannah James (East Jessamine); Jami Davis (Harrison County); Juliann Kirby (Rockcastle County); Kalin Bottoms (Boyle County); Katie Gardner (Warren East); Mackenzie Angel (Estill County); Rachelle Fairchild (Johnson Central); Ryley Whitney (Allen County-Scottsville); Shelby Nunn (South Warren); Sophie Robic (Lexington Catholic).
* Honorable mention – Ashley Hack, Sydney Wiard (Franklin County); Cassie Fultz, Sara Hieneman (Russell); Ciana Bowen (Lawrence County); Kenzi Martin (Boyd County); Mahala Saylor (Rockcastle County); Mikayla Thompson (Union County); Payton Calvert (Warren East); Shelbi Poehlein (Collins).
* First team – Amanda Lloyd (Bishop Brossart); Ashley Orr (Hancock County); Caitlyn Estevez (Jenkins); Jazzy Howard, Laylee Burchell (Magoffin County); Lillie Goetz, Lindsey Barr (Owensboro Catholic); Megan Bretz (Nicholas County); Morgan Gailor (Louisville Holy Cross); Paige Dabney (Campbellsville).
* Second team – Chelsea Cansler (University Heights); Christa Brutscher, Shelby Atzinger (Louisville Holy Cross); Haley Meyers (Newport Central Catholic); Hannah Leidecker, Tiffany Padon (Livingston Central); Madison Clark (Butler County); Melissa Bartley (Jenkins); Michaela Roberts (Trimble County); Sydney Jones (Shelby Valley).
* Honorable mention – Abby Shipley (Presentation); Alexa Foster (Owensboro Catholic); Amanda Morgan, Chelsea Parrish (Paris); Jaycie Edwards (Glasgow); Kristen Schreiber (Newport Central Catholic); Lexie O’Daniel (University Heights); Madison Johnson (Raceland); Shelby Grambell (Owen County); Whitney Creech (Jenkins).