Use this field to give a different author the writer's byline
There may be times when you need to publish a story for a non-Wordpress user, such as a student without an account, a teacher or coach. When you post a story for a non-Wordpress user, use the Custom Display Author field to enter the writer’s name. This will prevent your name from being in the byline. If you would like to download these instructions including screen shots, click HERE.
- From the posting screen, scroll down until you find the Custom Display Author field. It usually appears on the main column area below the story edit area.
- Enter the name of the author of the story.
- This name will appear as the byline of the story when published.
If you are posting a story for another student that DOES have a WordPress account, use the Authors field shown below. This can also be used if there are multiple WordPress writers for a single story.
- From the post screen, scroll down to find the Authors field.
- In the field beneath your name, enter the name of the WordPress User that is the author of the story.
- A list of WordPress users in the USA TODAY system will build based on the letters you type. Keep typing the correct name until you find the user desired. Click to select that user’s name. Once the user’s name is selected, click Remove to remove your name.
- If there is more than one author of a story, including yourself, you can add multiple names, and do not have to remove your name.
NOTE: If you cannot find either of these fields on your Post screen, click on the Screen Options button at the top of the screen. A list of all screen options with checkboxes will appear. Click to select or deselect any fields you want to display on your screen.
Any fields can be dragged and dropped to appear on the screen in the order that is best to work with. Click Screen Options to close window.