The season’s first CIF Southern Section eight-man football polls were released Monday, with the valley’s two storied teams once again cracking the top 10.
Coach Jim Donaldson’s Desert Chapel Eagles, who sit 3-0, were slated third, with Scott Gilbert’s Conquerors falling into place at No. 7.
Headed into their bye week, the Palm Springs football team continues to hold onto their grasp of the No. 1 spot in the Eastern Division after defeating visiting Murrieta Mesa Saturday evening 45-28.
For the first time this season, the Rancho Mirage football team received some attention, as a team that received votes but didn’t crack the top 10 in the Northwest Division.
In volleyball, the defending CIF SS Division 2A champions, Palm Springs, fell outside the top 10 in their division this week, while La Quinta slid in at No. 10 for the first time in 2015.
The Shadow Hills Knights didn’t move after being slated No. 8 in Division 4 AA a week ago.
The Xavier Prep boys water polo team fell out of the ranks from their spot at No. 9 a week ago after losing to Citrus Valley 15-13 in double overtime last week. The Palm Desert Aztecs moved up from No. 10 to No. 9 with the Saints falling.
In cross country, the Xavier Prep boys maintained their No. 2 ranking in Division 5 with their first big test of the season with the initial Desert Valley League meet Wednesday at home as they attempt to defend their 2014 league title.
High school football power rankings: week four
1. Palm Springs (last week No. 1)
2. Rancho Mirage (last week No. 5)
3. Desert Chapel (last week No. 6)
4. Coachella Valley (last week No. 8)
5. Desert Mirage (last week No. 2)
6. Palm Desert (last week No. 4)
7. Desert Hot Springs (last week No. 3)
8. Shadow Hills (last week No. 10)
9. La Quinta (last week No. 11)
10. Desert Christian Academy (last week No. 7)
11. Xavier Prep (last week No. 9)
12. Indio (last week No. 12)
13. Cathedral City (last week No. 13)
14. Palm Valley (last week No. 14)