BELLEVUE — Kim Barber devised a simple approach when she first began evaluating her Westminster Christian Academy volleyball team.
After all, it was her first coaching job in 15 years and Barber was the third WCA volleyball coach in as many seasons.
Rather than applying her own predetermined direction, Barber says she let her girls lead the way.
The Crusaders’ victory over False River Academy on Tuesday has WCA at 7-2 with a St. Landry Parish best record.
WCA, which hosts Eunice High on Thursday night at 6:30, has a team that is determined make its mark this year, Barber said.
“We’re just playing real hard right now. The girls are stepping up and they really want to win. It’s an attitude,” said Barber.
Barber said the players-coach introduction has gone smoothly.
Instead of imposing a particular system at the start of the season, Barber said she just let her team’s personality evolve as the season has progressed.
“I really don’t know how much the system I have is different than the ones they had here the past two years.
“All I know is I have done what I thought would work with the talent that is here and the players I have.
“I’ve just put people out on the floor and watched them play. Then I’ve done what I thought would work,” Barber said.
The Crusaders are primarily a young team with much inexperience, Barber said.
WCA, however, has a core group of four returning players that are helping the younger players develop, said Barber.
“It’s not like I have a large talent pool, but the four players that came back have a lot of varsity experience,” she said.
Among those starters are senior setter Blythe Thompson.
The remainder are juniors Neilee Newton (outside hitter — back row), Moriah Brooks (middle blocker) and Ivy Cains (middle blocker-back row).
ST. LANDRY VOLLEYBALL UPDATE
• Academy of the Sacred Heart (3-4). Next game: host Highland Baptist Thursday 6 p.m.. Last game: Defeated Lafayette Christian 3-2 on Tuesday.
• Beau Chene (4-6). Next game: Host Crowley Thursday 5:30 p.m. Last game: Defeated David Thibodaux Tuesday 3-0.
• Church Point (1-6). Next game: Host DeQuincy 5 p.m. Thursday. Last game lost to Northside Monday 3-0.
• Northwest (1-3). Next game: Host Franklin 4 p.m. Thursday. Last game: Lost to Westgate Thursday 3-1.
• Eunice (0-4). Next game. Go to Westminster 6:30 p.m. Thursday. Last game: Played at DeQuincy on Wednesday.
• Opelousas (2-8). Last game: Hosted Church Point on Wednesday.