Bullitt East, Fern Creek, Jeffersontown, Whitefield Academy
* Coach: Jason Couch (first year).
* Last season: 27-6 (lost to Doss 58-54 in Sixth Region final).
* Player to watch: With the Chargers looking to replace all five starters from last season, senior guard Jared Osborne will be called on to be a leader. As a reserve, he averaged 2.1 points last season.
* Other players: G/F Connor Green (6-3, Sr., 3.2 ppg, 2.0 rpg), G/F Konnor Polson (6-5, Sr., 5.1 ppg, 4.8 rpg).
* Outlook: It’s a new start in Mount Washington as Couch takes over for Bob Blackburn, but optimism abounds. While the seniors are relatively untested, they did go up in practice against one of the top teams in the region last season. Couch believes the talent is there to contend, but it may take some time to develop as players get used to new roles.
* Coach: James Schooler (fifth year).
* Last season: 19-13 (lost to Doss 57-44 in Sixth Region semifinal).
* Player to watch: While Fern Creek returns several players from last season, the addition of 6-6 senior Chance Moore may just put the Tigers over the top. Schooler calls the forward, who averaged 13.2 points a game for Eastern last season, a Mr. Basketball contender if he can improve on his defense.
* Other players: G Anthony Wales (6-0, Jr., 12.0 ppg, 2 rpg), G Ahmad Price (10.0 ppg, 8.5 rpg), F Daquan Jones (6-6, Sr., 4.0 ppg, 6.0 rpg), G Tony Rogers (6-3, Jr. 4.0 ppg, 3.0 ppg).
* Outlook: The Tigers have one of the top trios in the area with Wales, Price and Moore. Schooler said he liked the way his kids developed over the summer. After some youthful inconsistency last season, when the Tigers lost close games to several of the area’s top teams, Fern Creek put together a run at the end to win its first district title in nine years. Now, the Tigers’ eyes focus on a regional crown.
* Coach: Miquel Coleman (second year).
* Last season: 11-18 (lost to Fern Creek 60-40 in district semifinal).
* Player to watch: Delvonte McCloud is one of two starters returning for the Chargers. The 6-6 senior forward showed flashes last season, including a 22-point, eight-rebound game against Butler on Feb. 16. McCloud hit 6 of 12 3-point tries in the 57-55 victory.
* Other players: G Jalen Davis (Jr.), G Dakota White (Sr.).
* Outlook: The Chargers lost their two leading scorers from last season and return just two starters in McCloud and Davis. Coleman said he plans to use sophomores to fill the holes in the lineup, along with White, who played a key role off the bench last season.
* Coach: Chris Vaughn (first year).
* Last season: 2-28 (lost to Bullitt East 92-33 in district semifinal).
* Player to watch: Junior Tyler Nauert is the team’s top returning scorer from last season. The guard averaged 7.2 points a game and was the Wildcats’ primary 3-point shooter (37 of 123).
* Other player: F Connor Emmitt (Jr., 5.1 ppg, 4.8 rpg).
* Outlook: The Wildcats will look to improve after having to dip into the middle school to fill some varsity roster spots. Vaughn also will have a couple seniors rejoining the team after a year off to help Nauert and Emmitt provide some leadership.