It was a rough weekend for a number of 11-man football teams with long winning streaks entering the 2016 season.
Four streaks of at least 30 games all ended:
- The nation’s longest active streak by Edgewood Academy (Ala.) came to screeching halt in a blowout loss to Morgan Academy.
- The 37-game streak of Dillon (S.C.) was ended by No. 13 Mallard Creek (Charlotte, N.C.).
- Crest (Shelby, N.C.) lost to South Point (Belmont), stopping its run at 32 games.
- Colquitt County (Moultrie, Ga.) had its 30-game streak halted by Mill Creek (Hoschton).
Given those results, here is where the latest winning streak stand.
- Valle Catholic (Sainte Genevieve, Mo.) — 46
- Kimberly (Wis.) — 43
- Soldotna (Alaska) — 41
- Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) — 39
- Bishop Guilfoyle (Altoona, Pa.) — 32
- Canadian (Texas), Waskom (Texas) and Bremont (Texas) — 31
Valle, the three-time Class 1 champion in Missouri, opened its season with a 77-0 victory against St. Vincent on Friday. Kimberly opened its season with a 43-6 victory against Oshkosh North. Soldotna is 2-0 on the season, given the earlier start in Alaska.
Bishop Gorman, ranked No. 3 in the Super 25, opens this week at No. 5 Cedar Hill (Texas) in a highly anticipated nationally televised game. The season openers in Texas are this week.
Bishop Guilfoyle does not open until Sept. 3.