Evan Berkey was 3-for-4 with a pair of RBIs and the La Quinta High School baseball team cruised to a 12-0 win over Cathedral City on Saturday in a Desert Valley League game.
Berkey, who was a triple shy of hitting for the cycle, led the Blackhawks, but he wasn’t alone. On the mound, Andrew Garcia, Jacob Mesa and Flavio Mendoza put together an impressive shutout, and Eddie Lafayette was 1-for-1 with an RBI.
La Quinta will play Calipateria on Monday in the first game of the rotary tournament.
Riverside Poly 6, La Quinta 4: Kora Compton was 3-for-4 with a run and Kamryn Tiumalu and Luz Aguilasocho each went 2-for-4 in a loss for the Lady Blackhawks on Saturday. Lauren Robinson pitched five innings and gave up three earned runs in the game.
La Quinta moves to a record of 8-6 and play again on April 4.
The La Quinta track & field team came away with 12 medals from the Mt. Carmel Invitational in San Diego on Saturday. The 4×400 meter relay team of Aven Mere, Skyla Curtis, Alana Wilson and Sandra Flores took first place place. Other medals are as follows:
- 4×100-meter relay: 3rd place, Alphonso Nelson, Nick Harris, Garrett Ferguson, Justin Mahaffey at 44.78
- 4×400-meter relay: 4th place, Ferguson, Teddy Jones, Mahaffey, Casey Cruz at 3:29.27
- 800 meters: 2nd place, Casey Cruz with a school record of 1:56.70; 4th place, Garrett Ferguson at 2:05.19
- 200 meters: 3rd place, Nick Harris at 22.99
- 300-meter hurdles: 4th place, Teddy Jones at 41.58
- High Jump: 3rd place, Marcus Burt at 6′
- 100 meters: 2nd place, Alana Wilson at 12.42
- High jump: 2nd place, Kaitlyn Jackson at 4′ 10″
- 800 meters: 3rd place, Vanessa Ramirez; 4th place, Sandra Flores
- Distance Medley Relay: 3rd place, Francine Ansley, Wilson, Ramirez, Flores at 12:43.69