Jan. 18: lohud boys basketball rankings
The top boys basketball teams from Westchester, Putnam and Rockland counties and the rest of Section 1
1. Mount Vernon (9-3) — The Knights have won seven straight and saw their offense finally take off this weekend in Canada. They won the Snowball Classic in Abbotsford, British Columbia behind three straight 100-point efforts. Junior Noah Morgan scored 40 and 38 points in the semifinals and final.
2. Iona Prep (7-4) — Since Ty Jerome was declared out for the year, Iona Prep has dropped three straight. The Gaels will have to regroup quickly.
3. Fox Lane (8-2) — The Foxes might be the busiest team in Section 1 the rest of the regular season. They have 10 games scheduled in 19 days beginning Tuesday.
4. Stepinac (6-9) — Stepinac sophomore Aundre Hyatt received his first offer from Yale after Friday’s 39-point explosion against Mount St. Michael. The 6-foot-6 Mount Vernon resident has already received high-major interest from the likes of Indiana, Oklahoma State and Stanford, among others.
5. Kennedy (13-2) — The Gaels are 7-0 in their league, but still have home-and-home series with Monsignor Scanlan and Fordham Prep that will determine where they fall in the CHSAA.
6. North Rockland (10-2) — The Red Raiders have won eight straight, but they needed to sweat to beat Ramapo and Suffern last week.
7. Saunders (8-4) — The Blue Devils are headed to the Toyota Classic in Kentucky from Jan. 21-23.
8. Tappan Zee (13-1) — The Dutchmen beat Portsmouth (R.I) 71-62 on Saturday night despite a game-high 28 from sophomore Chris Herren Jr., the son of former Boston College and Fresno St. star Chris Herren.
9. Briarcliff (11-1) — The Bears visit rival Pleasantville on Tuesday and it won’t be easy. The Panthers are fresh off wins over Croton-Harmon and Westlake.
10. Spring Valley (9-4) — It’s been a streaky season for the Tigers, who won five straight, dropped four straight and are now riding a four-game winning streak again.
On the bubble: Putnam Valley (11-2), Beacon (10-4), Ketcham (10-3), Lourdes (7-4).
The top boys basketball teams in each class in Section 1
1. Mount Vernon
2. Fox Lane
3. North Rockland
5. Spring Valley
1. Tappan Zee
2. Putnam Valley
3. Blind Brook
1. Clark Academy