Feb. 1: lohud boys basketball rankings
The top boys basketball teams from Westchester, Putnam and Rockland counties and the rest of Section 1
1. Mount Vernon (11-5) — Don’t fret about the five losses. If the Knights can make incremental improvements, they can win a state title and maybe even more.
2. Kennedy (17-2) — By virtue of its win over Monsignor Scanlan Sunday night, Kennedy, the defending champ, finds itself in sole possession of first place in the CHSAA ‘A’.
3. Spring Valley (12-5) — The Tigers stubbed their toe Saturday, falling to Middletown, but their recent play and overall credentials are worthy of the No. 3 spot.
4. Saunders (11-6) — The Blue Devils were really impressive defensively in Saturday’s win over Fox Lane. If you’re not making shots, they are going to be tough to play.
5. Iona Prep (7-12) — The Gaels are right there with some of the city’s best, but facts are facts: They’ve dropped eight straight since beating Stepinac.
6. Stepinac (7-12) — The Crusaders earned their biggest win of the season when they beat division-leading St. Raymond on Friday night. Now they’ll travel to Iona Prep this coming Friday seeking revenge.
7. Fox Lane (13-3) — The Foxes had been rolling since the Slam Dunk, but Saturday’s loss to Saunders was a reality check. They still have strides to make to contend in Class AA.
8. Lourdes (11-4) — Class A is wide open, but Lourdes has some good pieces and might have the best player in the class in junior James Anozie.
9. Briarcliff (15-1) — The Bears won the Friends vs. Cancer at Palisade Prep this weekend and appear headed for a 19-1 finish.
10. Tappan Zee (15-2) — After falling at Nanuet, the Dutchmen have had over a week to regroup. They host Albertus Magnus on Wednesday.
On the bubble: Putnam Valley (15-2), Beacon (13-5), Nanuet (13-5), Albertus Magnus (10-6).
The top boys basketball teams in each class in Section 1
1. Mount Vernon
2. Spring Valley
4. Fox Lane
5. New Rochelle
2. Tappan Zee
5. Albertus Magnus
2. Putnam Valley
3. Blind Brook
1. Clark Academy
5. Hawthorne Cedar Knolls