The Brentwood boys golf team will be back to defend its title at the Class AAA State Golf Tournament on Tuesday and Wednesday at Manchester’s WillowBrook Golf Club.
- Sevier County’s Spencer Cross, a Tennessee commitment, is the defending champion after winning with a 10-under 134 last year.
- Franklin’s Michael Shears shot 64 to win the Region 6-AAA Tournament.
- Three golfers return from last season for the Brentwood boys. That trio — Trenton Johnson (70), Eli Charron (72) and Trey Tobias (72) — posted three of the top four scores as the Bruins won Region 6-AAA with a 288 total.
- Led by Jayna Choi (the individual state champion after posting a 4-under 140 last fall), Houston is back to defend its title.
- Brighton’s Aubree Jones, a Mississippi State commitment, was the 2013 and 2014 individual state champion and 2015 state runner-up.
- There are five boys and five girls teams back among the state field from last season, with Tullahoma’s boys being among those. Led by Jacob Uehlein’s round of 67, the Wildcats rolled to the Region 4-AAA title by producing a 293 total.
- Four District 9-AAA golfers — Mt. Juliet’s Cooper Sears (a Vanderbilt commitment), MTSU commitments Michael Barnard (Beech junior) and Bryce Lewis (Hendersonville junior), and Lebanon’s Garrett Hughes — shot 74 or better at the Region 5-AAA Tournament to qualify as individuals.
- Eight of the top 10 females from last season are back among the field, including Franklin County’s Malia Stovall and Rossview’s Caroline Caudill, a Middle Tennessee State commitment. Stovall, a Tennessee commitment, shot 67 for medalist honors in Region 4-AAA.
- Coffee County’s girls, led by Mississippi State commitment Ashley Gilliam and Lincoln Memorial commitment Savannah Quick, shot 139 to win Region 4-AAA.
- Stewarts Creek’s Shelden Barina posted a 67 at the Region 4-AAA Tournament.
Reach Craig Harris at 615-259-8238 and on Twitter @CHTennessean.
MOST POPULAR STORIES