Surgery limited Lindsey Duvall to just seven games with the Bullitt East High School girls basketball team last season, but the talented guard said she’s healthy now and confident about her upcoming senior season.
Duvall and several classmates celebrated Wednesday during a signing-day ceremony at Bullitt East. Duvall officially signed with the University of Louisville last week and is part of a three-player class that is ranked No. 1 in the nation by espnW Hoop Gurlz. The other signees are point guard Dana Evans of Gary (Indiana) West Side and center Loretta Kakala of Mateca (California).
“Their team is like family,” Duvall said of her decision to sign with U of L after also considering Kentucky, Michigan and DePaul. “When I go there you can tell how much fun they’re having, and the coaches are awesome. I like how it’s so together. You can tell everybody loves it.”
A 5-foot-10 guard, Duvall averaged 18.7 points and 8.1 rebounds last season while playing in the Chargers’ final seven games after having surgery in November to remove a small tumor near her left knee.
She enters her senior season as a top candidate for Kentucky’s Miss Basketball award. Butler senior and Indiana University signee Jaelynn Penn is considered her top competition.
Duvall said her conditioning level was subpar when she returned to the squad last February but added she now is in better shape – mentally and physically – than she was a sophomore when she averaged 23.7 points and 7.5 rebounds and was a second-team All-State selection by The Courier-Journal.
“I have 100 times more confidence in myself,” she said. “When I came back, I was only able to walk a week before my first game. I had no legs or anything. It was terrible. I don’t worry about my knee anymore. It’s so much better.”
Bullitt East coach Chris Stallings is excited about his team’s future with Duvall leading the way.
“She’s back, and she’s really strong and shooting the ball well,” Stallings said. “Last spring she didn’t come back and shoot it like she had shot it before. … She’s eager to get back on floor and play with her teammates, and we’re eager to have her back.”
Other Bullitt East signings were Kelsey Castle (soccer, Georgetown), Christian Foster (soccer, Eastern Kentucky), Savannah Glass (volleyball, Indiana Southeast), Mitchell Langley (baseball, Spalding) and Lindsay Renneisen (softball, Evansville).
MORE COVERAGE | Five members of Butler girls basketball team sign
Here is a list of previously unreported signings and commitments from Louisville-area schools:
* Assumption – Biz Allgeier (field hockey, Louisville), Emma Spinetto (field hockey, Ohio), Jenna McKune (field hockey, Ball State), Sydney McKenna (field hockey, Davidson), Alexis Hamilton (volleyball, Louisville), Ana Crockett (volleyball, South Carolina-Aiken), Brooke Moore (volleyball, Austin Peay), Jacqueline Askin (volleyball, Bowling Green), Kristen O’Toole (volleyball, Bellarmine), Nina Korfhage (volleyball, Austin Peay).
* Ballard – Jordon Adell (baseball, Louisville), Catie Barber (softball, Louisville).
* Butler – Hailey Whitmer (softball, Northern Kentucky), Annabelle Ramirez (softball, Lindsey Wilson), Faith Harris (softball, Cincinnati Christian).
* Christian Academy – Nick Albiero (swimming, Louisville), Lindsey Bray (volleyball, Cedarville), Summer Conti (basketball, Rollins), Alex Hill (field hockey, Bellarmine), Rachel Hughes (swimming, Marshall), Katie Jenkins (field hockey, Centre), Luke Price (baseball, Purdue).
* Collegiate – Ryan McDaniel (basketball, Alabama-Huntsville).
MORE COVERAGE | Hollingsworth (WKU) heads list of last week’s signings
* Eastern – Natalie Collins (basketball, Alabama A&M), Gavin Sullivan (baseball, Louisville).
* Kentucky Country Day – Claire Hamilton (lacrosse, Marquette), Caroline Anderson (lacrosse, Marquette).
* Male – Kayla Shannon (bowling, Cumberlands), Lexie Gatewood (volleyball, Georgetown), Bayleigh Masterson (softball, Berry), Olivia Suski (softball, Murray State), Dani Walls (softball, Murray State), Brevin Wyman (softball, Georgetown).
* St. Xavier – Clay Amlung (golf, Cincinnati), Zach Hendrickson (volleyball, Brigham Young), Drew Singerman (tennis, Furman), Keefer Barnum (swimming, Virginia), Sam Hedges (baseball, Northern Kentucky), Connor Holden (baseball, Murray State), Sam Mudd (baseball, Southern Indiana).
* South Oldham – Tanner Johnson (baseball, Kentucky), Will Moriarty (baseball, Murray State), Caleigh Spoon (lacrosse, Montevallo), Luke Niebrugge (lacrosse, Bellarmine), Lydia Jackson (swimming, Alabama), Cooper Cantrell (soccer, Kentucky).
* Trinity – Jacob King (basketball, Campbellsville), Brandon Pfaadt (baseball, Bellarmine), Matthew Higgins (baseball, Bellarmine).
Jason Frakes can be reached at (502) 582-4046 and firstname.lastname@example.org.