Mayfield, DeSales, CAL lead way
Here’s a preview of Kentucky’s Class 2-A football season, including The Courier-Journal’s preseason poll of coaches.
Rank, team (FPV) 2015 record
1. Mayfield (13) 14-1
2. DeSales (1) 11-3
3. Christian Academy 10-3
4. Newport Central Catholic 9-6
5. Danville 12-2
6. Owensboro Catholic 10-3
7. Lexington Christian 8-5
8. Murray 7-5
9. Somerset 6-5
10. Covington Holy Cross 6-6
Others receiving votes: Glasgow, Lloyd Memorial, Butler County, Leslie County, Allen Central, Monroe County, Shelby Valley, Betsy Layne, Walton-Verona.
* Favorite: Mayfield had little trouble making the jump from Class A to 2-A last season, going 14-1 and beating Newport Central Catholic 17-7 in the state final. With the return of senior running back Trajon Bright, the Cardinals should fly high again this season.
MORE COVERAGE | Class A preview, poll
* Not far behind: Three straight years DeSales and Christian Academy have met in a regional final, with the Colts advancing all three seasons. Expect a similar scenario this season, with the winner emerging to host Mayfield in a state semifinal.
* Sleeper: Newport Central Catholic has reached the state final four straight years from the east. With senior quarterback Zach Dampier leading the way, Danville may have the best chance to end the Thoroughbreds’ reign this season.
* Top college prospect: Christian Academy senior tight end/defensive end Jake Paulson is one of the state’s top two-way players and has scholarship offers from Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Marshall, Purdue, Central Florida, Western Kentucky and several others. The 6-5 245-pounder posted a team-high 99 tackles (40 solo) last season and also caught 12 passes for 195 yards and three touchdowns.
MORE COVERAGE | Top 10 candidates for Kentucky’s Mr. Football award
* Three must-see games: Belfry at Newport Central Catholic, Sept. 9; Mayfield at Murray, Sept. 30; Christian Academy at DeSales, Oct. 7.