Belfry seeks 4th straight title; Central, Waggener in top 10
Here’s a preview of Kentucky’s Class 3-A football season, including The Courier-Journal’s preseason poll of coaches.
Rank, team (FPV) 2015 record
1. Belfry (13) 14-1
2. Lexington Catholic 11-4
3. Corbin 9-5
4. Boyle County 10-2
5. Central 10-3
6. Caldwell County 10-3
7. Waggener 6-5
8. Paducah Tilghman 8-4
9. Elizabethtown 13-1
10. Adair County 10-2
Others receiving votes: Bell County, Garrard County, Russell, Bardstown, Western Hills, Lawrence County.
* Favorite: Belfry has won three straight 3-A championships and may have its most talented squad of all this season as linemen Cole Bentley (University of Louisville commit), Austin Dotson (University of Kentucky commit) and Rayquan Horton are all high-level recruits.
* Not far behind: Corbin returns most of its starters from last season’s team that lost to Belfry 42-14 in the state semifinals. Junior quarterback Cameron Sizemore accounted for 31 touchdowns last season (21 passing, 10 rushing).
* Sleeper: Waggener hasn’t won a playoff game since 2004 but has several talented players led by senior quarterback Larry Harper, junior receiver/defensive back Jairus Brents and junior defensive end Tahj Rice.
* Top college prospect: Belfry senior offensive lineman Cole Bentley (6-4, 310 pounds) committed to the University of Louisville after receiving a bevy of offers, including from Air Force, Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Marshall, Memphis, Purdue and Western Kentucky.
* Three must-see games: Waggener at Central, Sept. 23; Boyle County at Lexington Catholic, Oct. 14; Belfry at Johnson Central, Oct. 28.
MORE COVERAGE | Class 2-A preview, preseason poll
MORE COVERAGE | Class A preview, preseason poll