The first of three weeks of TSSAA state golf tournaments tee off Monday at Manchester’s WillowBrook Golf Club with the opening day of the 36-hole Division II-A and Division II-AA tourneys.
Here is a look at who to watch in the Division II tournaments.
- FRA sophomore Angelina Chan is back to defend her DII-A individual title. Runner-up Hannah Powell, a senior from St. Andrew’s-Sewanee, also returns.
- FRA’s girls had the best state tournament qualifying score (151) — 15 strokes better than any other state squad. Knoxville Webb is the only qualifier of the six that wasn’t in the state last season.
- In DII-A, the top three individual boys from last season — St. George’s Davis Irving (champion), USJ’s Ryan Davis and St. George’s Winston Maragritis — return.
- Father Ryan’s Nick Wolf is the top returning golfer among the DII-AA boys field, having placed fourth last season.
- Baylor returns to defend its boys title in DII-AA, though Memphis University School posted the top qualifying score (280). Only 14 strokes separated the six teams last year.
- St. Agnes is the favorite to three-peat in DII-AA girls, returning defending champion Abby Heck and runner-up Rachel Heck.
- The three boys teams from the DII-A West Region had the top qualifying scores — University School of Jackson (292), St. George’s (295) and Evangelical Christian (303). Battle Ground Academy is the lone state qualifier that wasn’t in the field last season.
- FRA’s Josh Holtschlag shot 71 to claim DII-A East/Middle Region Tournament medalist honors after placing ninth at state last season.
- Brentwood Academy’s Alex Cobb (68) — the DII-AA East/Middle Region Tournament medalist — and Montgomery Bell Academy’s Cal Rieke (69) posted top qualifying rounds.
Reach Craig Harris at 615-259-8238 and on Twitter @CHTennessean.