We have to start somewhere. Teams looking to unseat the perennially strong teams like Somers and John Jay-East Fishkill need to beat perennially strong teams like Somers and John Jay-East Fishkill. A lot will change in the coming weeks, but here is how the contenders line up heading into the 2016 season:
Lohud Girls Soccer Preseason Rankings
1. Somers: Yes, there are some holes in the lineup. No, there isn’t likely to be much of a dropoff.
2. John Jay-East Fishkill: It’s getting harder and harder to win Class AA titles.
3. North Rockland: Wait until Naya Rivera and Brianna Williams get back on the field.
4. Suffern: A cast of talented youngsters is another year older and wiser.
5, Clarkstown South: Talented enough to compete. Deep enough to contend.
6. Arlington: Always tapped into a deep talent pool.
7. Pearl River: Otherwise known as the biggest threat to beat Somers.
8. Byram Hills: Learning on the fly after welcoming coach Bryan Horn back to the program.
9. Tappan Zee: Unlikely to be under the radar for very long.
10: Bronxville: Feeling the loss of Beth Finley, but the underclassmen are strong.
1. John Jay-EF
2. North Rockland
3. Clarkstown South
2. Pearl River
3. Byram Hills
4. Tappan Zee
3. Albertus Magnus
2. North Salem
3. Solomon Schechter