Friday marks the midway point of the high school football season. We’re starting to get a good idea of the top teams, and players, as we head into the home stretch and into sectional play. Here are five players to watch on Friday night:
• Max Brooks, Hamilton Southeastern: The 6-4, 190-pound senior came up big for the Royals in a 36-33 overtime win over rival Fishers last week. Brooks caught four passes for 151 yards and a touchdown, his third consecutive game with a TD reception. He has 13 catches for 287 yards on the season. HSE is at 4-0 Westfield on Friday.
• Clayton Cowan, Hamilton Heights: The 5-10, 175-pound senior had a huge game last week in a 20-14 win over Tipton, rushing for 236 yards on 21 carries. Cowan, also a linebacker, leads the unbeaten Huskies with 42 tackles through three games. The Huskies host 4-0 Northwestern on Friday.
• Bryce Jefferson, Decatur Central: The Hawks have rebounded with three consecutive wins since a season-opening loss to Franklin Central. Jefferson, a 6-3 junior quarterback, has passed for five touchdowns and more than 400 yards the past two weeks. For the season, Jefferson has completed 67 percent of his passes for 857 yards and nine touchdowns and rushed for 323 yards and three TDs. The Hawks host Mooresville on Friday.
• Richard Markle, Manual: The senior cornerback has intercepted four passes to rank among the state leaders and has returned one for a touchdown. Markle is also a dangerous kick and punt returner for the Redskins. He averaged 35 yards on four kickoff returns against Washington. Manual is at Providence on Friday.
• Tristen Tonte, Warren Central: There may not be a more versatile player in the state than the 6-1, 215-pound Tonte. He rushed for 101 yards and two touchdowns last week in a 37-0 win over Lawrence Central. Tonte can also fill in at quarterback (8-for-11 for 138 yards and a touchdown for the season) and catch passes (nine catches for 62 yards and a TD). He has 263 yards rushing and eight TDs for the season. Warren Central hosts Ben Davis on Friday. You can watch the MIC Network Game of the Week live at 7 p.m., Friday on IndyStar.com and our mobile apps.
Call IndyStar reporter Kyle Neddenriep at (317) 444-6649.