Former Mass. 3-sport athlete gets probation for alleged sexual assault of unconscious girls

Former Mass. 3-sport athlete gets probation for alleged sexual assault of unconscious girls

Outside The Box

Former Mass. 3-sport athlete gets probation for alleged sexual assault of unconscious girls

By

A disturbing incident in Western Massachusetts came to a close on Monday when a district judge officially continued the case of an 18-year-old recent high school graduate whom, prosecutors claim, sexually assaulted a pair of inebriated classmates while they were unconscious following a party at a nearby house.

As reported by the Springfield Republican, former East Longmeadow senior David Becker was facing charges of sexual assault related to an incident following a party at a fellow classmates house. Here’s how the Republican described the evening in question, albeit a bit graphically:

When (East Longmeadow High School Resource Officer Michael) Ingalls reached out to them, the victims told him they had been drinking at the Allen Street home of a classmate whose father was out of town. The party broke up at about 11:30 p.m., when their friend’s 22-year-old sister arrived home and told the teenage revelers to leave.

Becker, the victims and another friend stayed at the house and helped clean. After they finished, one of the victims said, both girls went into an upstairs bedroom -one requiring assistance walking up the stairs-, and Becker later came in to talk, before they all fell asleep in the same bed. Each reported waking up to Becker sexually assaulting them.

In a text message to one of the victims the next day, Becker apologized for the assault, court records show. The victim responded with a text telling Becker “don’t even worry about it,” but later told police that she said this because “she did not know what else to say,” Ingalls’ police report states.

Becker’s lawyer successfully defended his client by painting the actions as an isolated incident for a star soccer, basketball and volleyball player, and stressing the victim statements which pointed to a lack of desire for the teen to spend time in prison. Still, his actions were serious enough to justify charges of indecent assault and the teen himself did not deny the actions. Prosecutors had asked for a two-year jail sentence for the alleged crimes, but instead saw the charges continued for two years. That leaves Becker free to move to Ohio to attend college, but forced to abstain from all drugs and alcohol. If he violates those terms, he will summarily be found guilty of indecent assault and sent to prison. It has since become unclear if he actually will attend Dayton, as he had allegedly planned, following a call from a Dayton spokesperson claiming that Becker will not be a student there in fall 2016.

Still, if it feels as if Becker is getting off easy, perhaps he is. He committed a crime not completely unlike that of former Stanford swimmer Brock Turner, but is unlikely to ever spend a day in jail. That doesn’t seem like a true carriage of justice, to put it mildly.

Latest

More USA TODAY High School Sports
Home
https://usatodayhss.com/2016/mass-3-sport-athlete-handed-probation-for-alleged-sexual-assault-of-unconscious-classmates
Former Mass. 3-sport athlete gets probation for alleged sexual assault of unconscious girls
I found this story on USA TODAY High School Sports and wanted to share it with you: %link% For more high school stories, stats and videos, visit http://usatodayhss.com.